Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up two Penn Slammer 260's made in China today. No one seems to know if they will be as good as the US reels. Penn of course claims there will be absolutely no difference. I like the size and features of the 260's and needed two reels for this season. Thought of getting Pt Cabo 20's but have a 30 and really like the Penn's better. They seem to be more compact and solid.

I will fish these two reels hard this year and see what happens. They are at least as smooth cranking in the new condition as my US Penn's were. Other than not having the letters USA cast into the inside of the reel foot, they look identical on the outside.

I like to buy American but we are given few choices anymore. China is certainly a sleeping giant that may cause us real problems down the line. They are spending a record number of billions on the military.

Will report back after a year or before if there is any problems with them.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mushy-

That of course was an American made Slammer. I agree they are very tough. I have some three year old 260's that have been ridden hard. They still perform well and are nearly as smooth as new. I have four old US 260's and tore them all down last week and greased and oiled them. They seem to have plenty of life but I am going to try to use the new ones as much as possible to see if there are any flaws in the ones produced in China.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Wild Bill,
Where'd you get the Slammers and was it a fair price? Didn't see'em on the BPS site. I need to pick up a 260 and a 360 this weekend. Sux they went overseas, but I've always been partial to Penn so I'll give'em a go.....Thanks - Andy

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy-

I have a bud in the business, so the price was very good. Actually the wholesale price is less by about $13 than it was before they left the country. That may be to get guys to buy Penn again. Many of us loyal Penn users were not happy with the move. The 260's suit me better than any other reels at any price, so I thought I would give the new ones a chance before switching brands.

I did open one up tonight to make sure they had grease in them. They had the Penn blue grease inside like they used to use. I always liked that grease. The parts look identical to the US reels and the bearings are smooth. The machining on the gears looked smooth.

Even though I am a long time Penn fan, if these Chinese reels fail, I will sing it out loud an clear and be done with Penn forever. This is a one chance with me. Of course any other spinning reel I might choose will be made is Asia also.

Ele at Herb's always sold Penn's. Give her a call. She may have them in stock or can get them quickly.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother and esteemed fellow Parker owner
I love my Made in the USA Penn Slammer 260, but; I'm still going Cabo PT 20 this time. I did see this new reel made by US Reel and was thinking about looking at one, but; then I saw in The Fisherman that it's made in China.......just like everything else it seems. I HATE sloppy handles and I've declaired war against them. I have a Fin-Nor Mega-Lite 2000that needs to go, one of those BPS specials that's and some old Shamino Shara's that will get reglated to perching rods for the kinder.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I like to buy American but we are given few choices anymore. China is certainly a sleeping giant that may cause us real problems down the line. They are spending a record number of billions on the military.
USA Republic of China. USA is causing it's own downfall. We keep giving dollars to them and they have one of the fastest growing econmies. They have one of the largest armies in number of infantry.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
USA Republic of China. USA is causing it's own downfall. We keep giving dollars to them and they have one of the fastest growing econmies.
You can only control your own destiny if you have natural resources and we, the USA, have either used ours up or have chosen not to exploit them for one reason or another.

The Greeks, the Romans, the British, and many others all had their day in the sun but had to relinquish the throne once they ran out of resources and could no longer exploit other's.

History is repeating itself and we're just the latest in a long line that will take that fall.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You can only control your own destiny if you have natural resources and we, the USA, have either used ours up or have chosen not to exploit them for one reason or another.

The Greeks, the Romans, the British, and many others all had their day in the sun but had to relinquish the throne once they ran out of resources and could no longer exploit other's.

History is repeating itself and we're just the latest in a long line that will take that fall.
How true your statement is. At this point in time, I'd say China's resource is it's low wage workforce.

It's just amazing to me that one can make a product in China then ship it here and still make a bigger profit compared to an identical product made here in the state.

Just watch, when China loses it's low wage resource, manufacturing will move to Russia or one of many SE Asian countries. If it can't be built there cheap, it'll go to Latin America then to Africa.

All I can see is that it'll be a long time before there's an equilibrium in wages occures to were manufacturing overseas is no longer is profitable.

BTW, if these new Chinese Penns are built to the same specs as the ones that were built here, they should be equal in quality. The problem will occure if Penn/Shakespeare subs out the work and the sub uses inferior parts/materials without Penn/Shakespeare's knowledge.

Oh, if you want to bring customer service back to the states from India, there's 2 things that have to happen. 1st is to kill VOIP, then 2nd is to raise long distance rates.

- Dae

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I surveyed a bunch of spinning reels a few weeks back. Created a thread here asking for input. Was set to purchase a Daiwa Tierra, but I found the spool shaft was just too thin and allowed the spool to wiggle a lot (not just a little). Looked at several of them and found the same problem. The handle on the Shimano Stradic wobbled, and the spool had some wobble in it for the same reason as the Diawa. So...I went back to my trusty Penns. Ended up with a pair of Chinese Slammer 360s. They are as solid as the US models. When I got home, I pulled the side case off of one, and they appear to be identical to the USA made version. Wished I could have purchased an American made reel, but it is getting nigh on impossible to do so.

BTW, I hammered the Penn reps at the front of BPS on Saturday for moving their production overseas. They changed the subject to to their "International" models. What a crock.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pork-

I do not like it one bit that they are no longer made in the USA. I agree the reels seem to be very solid and I suspect they will function like the old Penn's. If you compare the inside of the Slammers to other reels they have about 1/3 the parts and are very simple to work on. I tore down four Slammers and cleaned and lubed them in one evening. When I took apart my Shimano Sustain, I thought I might not get it back together--so many litttle plastic parts. The Sustain's are smooth but the Penn Slammers have the beef where it is needed.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Penn parts are built by machines.Big problem was that Penn was union-they let most people retire then made the switch.Hard to justify paying $23.00 per hour plus benefits to put reels together.Foreign labor is about $5.00 per day-no benefits.Only thing I do with the "new" Penn reels is to check all the screws for tightness.Some were loose.The Penn Internationals are still put together in the USA-for now.Only way Penn can compete with Okuma and the other low priced reels. Skip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts