Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a small chip in the hull of my boat. I repaired the Gel Coat and sanded it down with 600grit sandpaper. It is now a dull smooth surface. What can be used to provide a glossy surface like the rest of the boat? Can I use a rubbing compound or do I have to spray a layer of gel coat on to get that glossy look?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm no expert on gel coat, but since no one else has chimed in - I'm assuming you used gel coat to repair the patch, if so and you were able to sand it down okay, it should polish out using compound and wax.
Gel coat needs the air cutoff from the surface to cure properly ( either by using special wax in the mix or securing plastic over the patch while drying). Otherwise, the patch stays tacky, which allows additional coats to be added without any additional preparation.
If you spray the gel coat, you need to add Duratec High Gloss Additive to the mix - otherwise the surface will be very dull.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
generally when using gel coat for a repair, use sand paper of a grit of 1000 first to even out the layer, 1500 next to do a smoth job, and finish with up to 2000 grit.......then buff using very mild rubbing compound and then a new coat of boat wax........and walla.......like new

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, DRN.

I have not seen that fine grade of sand paper. I will check around for it via the web. I think I will try the compound first since I will have that by this weekend and go from there.

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
Mixing styrene wax with the gel coat will enable the gel coat to cure tac free.Also BW and West Marine sell a product called mold release that will also work.After the gelcoat cures sand it with 600,1000 and then something around 1600 or above working away from the damage farther with each one.Then compound and
buff with a quailty buffer at about 2000 rpms working your way away from the repair You could go a step farther by using 3M`s Finesse-It 11.Than a coat of wax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts