Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha 4 stroke 115 and would like to add a fuel/water separtor due to the change in the new gas regs. The more people I talk to the more confused I get about the right one. I would not think I would need more than a 30 gph filter but some say get the 60 gph and other say 90 gph. Some say get the drainable filter and some say get the regular one that looks like the oil filter. Does anyone have any suggestion on the type and size filter I would need. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
The off-the-shelf spin-on filter should work fine. The filter kit runs about $40 at BoatUS. If you change the filter every season you shouldn't have any problem. I change mine every fall before freezing temps just in case there's water in the filter - I run my boat all winter. If you do have a problem then you need to check your fuel system. My GPS says I run ~1500 miles a year and I've always used a spin-on. The Sierra filter I'm using this year (BoatUs no longer carries the Tempo units) is rated at 21 micron.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
The off-the-shelf spin-on filter should work fine. The filter kit runs about $40 at BoatUS. If you change the filter every season you shouldn't have any problem. I change mine every fall before freezing temps just in case there's water in the filter - I run my boat all winter. If you do have a problem then you need to check your fuel system. My GPS says I run ~1500 miles a year and I've always used a spin-on. The Sierra filter I'm using this year (BoatUs no longer carries the Tempo units) is rated at 21 micron.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the the Fuel water separator with a plastic separator. I have a small tube attached to the separtor to bleed off any water ect. I have made a practice of draining after each use if needed as PM. I have had water in the tank which made it to the carbs and it was not a pleasant trip back from the 4th behind Seatow. Hope this helps. I run a Yamaha and the fuel filter they sell is solid I feel better, however using the separator.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It's important not to oversize the filter. 30GPH sounds right for your motor. Too large a filter reduces the fuel's residence time thru the filter- too small increases the differential pressure and could clog the filter quicker. I would suggest a 10 micron filter for ethylene blends such as offered by Racor.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
jsnow - I run a suzuki 115/4stroke and use the fuel/water separator NAPA sells. Forgot how much but I recall it being relatively cheap. It is sized OK for me because it didn't slow me down (meaning it didn't starve my engine). Get the stainless steel model - I got the regular cast (or zinc?) one and it is corroding.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
[Q]2DGRADY originally wrote:
I use the the Fuel water separator with a plastic separator. I have a small tube attached to the separtor to bleed off any water ect. I have made a practice of draining after each use if needed as PM. I have had water in the tank which made it to the carbs and it was not a pleasant trip back from the 4th behind Seatow. Hope this helps. I run a Yamaha and the fuel filter they sell is solid I feel better, however using the separator.
[/Q]I agree and whats nice is you can check from time to time to see if you have any water problems. I just drain into a small bucket then dump in a jar and the water will settle to the bottom.

·
Registered
470 Posts
go with a racor see-through bowl with the screw at the bottom... the new gas will "hold" 4 times more water than the old...

http://www.marineparts.com/mpf/mpf387.aspx

use that link to find out if you can just get a racor and screw it on to replace your old one without changing any of the plumbing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts