Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody run their rigs (singles/tandems/umbrellas) deeper when the wind/chop/waves get nasty. I was thinking back to last spring. Fished 4 days in a row w/a friend who came in from Montana. First three days were smooth, fished all our stuff up high in the water column and limited out all three days. Last day was 15 to 20 w/gusts/cloudy/drizzly and got skunked. Was wondering if we should have run em deeper that day or am I just thinking too much

·
Banned
859 Posts
Does anybody run their rigs (singles/tandems/umbrellas) deeper when the wind/chop/waves get nasty. I was thinking back to last spring. Fished 4 days in a row w/a friend who came in from Montana. First three days were smooth, fished all our stuff up high in the water column and limited out all three days. Last day was 15 to 20 w/gusts/cloudy/drizzly and got skunked. Was wondering if we should have run em deeper that day or am I just thinking too much
in the spring, on a nice warm sunny, relatively flat day, you will find them sunning themselves just below the surface.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
FWIW: I've noticed that Rock seem to feed near the surface on rough days.I think the waves help disguise the boat noise when you are going with the waves on in the trough.

Often when going into the waves-the deep lines get hit.

I've had days when the shallow rods get hit for 2-3 hrs-then the mid depth-then the deep and then it goes back to shallow.Other days my deepest and shallowest get hit at the same time.Never will figure them out-best to stagger lures throughout the water column.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Seems like medium and deep rods get hit more on rough days, but I've had good fish on planers and WWB lines on rough days too.
Like Skip said - stagger throughout the water column.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Skips right Mike......spread em out...see whats working. We caught both our fish on baits running 10' or less under the surface yesterday, with seas so rough that the planers were jumping out of the water. Both hits came trolling in the trough.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for responding. Was wondering if anybody had noticed any pattern on that subject over the years. I'll keep doing what I did last year, try to cover from top to bottom w/what Ive got and look for any patterns on days we get out. Missed last week hoping to hit it hard this week Breezy but thinking about PLO at least one day

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
If you promise not to laugh-I'll share one of my off the wall theorys.

I think the sea run Rock follow the deeper/saltier water up the bay.I notice the fish caught deeper seem to have more sea lice then those caught on shallow lines.

Also seems the deeper rods get hit better on incoming water then outgoing - no idea why - but I think the fresh sea run Rock swim with the current.

Not to say I don't get sea lice ladden Rock off the shallow rods- just seems the ones covered are from the deeper lines.Could be once the Rock come shallow into the fresher water- the lice start dropping off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts