Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took advantage of a 70* day even though small craft warning was up.

Met TFer Blue Lou at Sandy Point at 9 am and headed out. Wind was about 15 from south with out going current. Scattered white caps and 2 foot waves. We ran east to rock pile - hope was to find easy fishing with jigs. Bay bridge workers had barge there plus nothing on meter.

Pointed bow south and trim tabs down - ran south at 23 knots watching meter. Got to Thomas Point light area and slowed to trolling speed in 35 feet. Auto pilot could keep boat straight but waves were causing speed to drop to 1 knot at times.

Did not want to risk lures hitting bottom so ran farther south. Boat slowing in deep water is not big deal but shallow it would make for a lot of rod checking. Got down by west river and swung bow north. Much better with speed and we set 5 lines out. All tandems except umbrella off down rigger. All rods weighted to get down since nothing on meter above 15 feet. Water was 56* and clear.

Trolled a NE course slowly going into deeper water. Scattered small bait and only a fish here / there. Saw a few birds just flying as current shifted to incoming. Waves laid out somewhat and it was really warm for November. Checked lines - all were fine.

Got over to #86 but nothing so trolled west towards South river mouth. Deep V rolling in trough but not too bad. Got to 30 feet and zig zagged north. It was about 2:00 as we went past lighthouse and saw scattered marks on bottom. Downrigger had to be bouncing off them but no hits. Pulled rods and tried to jig but no luck.

Ran NE to deep water at bridge nothing around. Tried sewer pipe and saw a few fish in 35 feet and maybe had one hit. Decided to run back about 3:30.

May be an image of bridge, body of water and nature

Got back and put boat on trailer - sun already getting low.

May be an image of body of water

Got home with enough light to give boat good washing - took some spray up on windshield. Drew a blank but it was still a nice day to be fishing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the report.

I was out this last weekend in the eastern bay where I had been getting fish every trip for last 6 weeks. Water temp had been 55-57, but it was closer to 51 this time, plus windy and cold. New spray shield came in handy. Didn’t mark anything— came home empty handed.

Always enjoy reading your reports Skip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your reports are always appreciated even when the fish don't cooperate. For the past few weeks, I have been finding decent fish in shallow water. I have been leaving work to fish the last hour or so of daylight, slow trolling soft plastics on light jig heads and drift casting when I find the spot. By the time I got out yesterday, it was actually pretty flat as the breeze had come around to the west. In the hour between 4:15 and 5:15, I picked up 7 fish between 22 and 30 all found in less than 12 feet of water. It was a great evening with a full moon rising and warm air temp for this time of year and almost nobody else nearby. Today feels like it might be not as nice. I should have taken some pics but when you only have an hour to fish it is hard to put the rod down.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Your reports are always appreciated even when the fish don't cooperate. For the past few weeks, I have been finding decent fish in shallow water. I have been leaving work to fish the last hour or so of daylight, slow trolling soft plastics on light jig heads and drift casting when I find the spot. By the time I got out yesterday, it was actually pretty flat as the breeze had come around to the west. In the hour between 4:15 and 5:15, I picked up 7 fish between 22 and 30 all found in less than 12 feet of water. It was a great evening with a full moon rising and warm air temp for this time of year and almost nobody else nearby. Today feels like it might be not as nice. I should have taken some pics but when you only have an hour to fish it is hard to put the rod down.
Thanks Trash Wheeler. Love the rivers this time of year and to get out of the wind on the bay. Maybe someone will believe you. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Trash Wheeler. Love the rivers this time of year and to get out of the wind on the bay. Maybe someone will believe you. Thanks!
I actually hope they think I am full of it and just keep dragging big stuff in the deep because there are only so many spots where the type of fishing I have been doing works, but where it does-it does.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I actually hope they think I am full of it and just keep dragging big stuff in the deep because there are only so many spots where the type of fishing I have been doing works, but where it does-it does.
I hear you. Like the shallow rock piles along Eastern Neck Island is where the shallow rock fish are. But they have to find them rock piles first. I would never have mentioned this years ago when I fished in my boat almost every day. But I have good memories.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
That was a nice detailed story. Thanks! Shame the fish were not cooperating. Skip, if you weren't getting fish, no one was.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
That was a nice detailed story. Thanks! Shame the fish were not cooperating. Skip, if you weren't getting fish, no one was.
Trash Wheeler said:

RiverCat09, Trash Wheeler did good three days ago, and I caught some bass this morning. Someone somewhere is catching fish. That 's just the way it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts