Tidal Fish Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Yes we could do it like that back then. After I got out I learned the coppersmith trade in the ship yard and worked there for 30 years. No jobs like that anymore. They should bring back the vocational schools so kids can learn a trade. PS. My Granddad and my father were coppersmiths. View attachment 283275 My Dad at work.
That's something I'd like to learn. I took all of the blacksmith classes I could, dunno how much of that would transfer to copper. I've got someone coming this week to hook up my laser table to make lures with. I have piles of stainless steel and brass sheets I got from places that went out of business that I've serviced the last 30ish years.

Back to the topic, glad they found him, far too many times families are left to wonder what happened to their loved one(s). I saw it more times than I care to remember.

· Registered
260 Posts
That's something I'd like to learn. I took all of the blacksmith classes I could, dunno how much of that would transfer to copper. I've got someone coming this week to hook up my laser table to make lures with. I have piles of stainless steel and brass sheets I got from places that went out of business that I've serviced the last 30ish years.

Back to the topic, glad they found him, far too many times families are left to wonder what happened to their loved one(s). I saw it more times than I care to remember.
I'm a retired Sheetmetal and Worker myself. I've done a bit of historical copper restoration over the years. I'm probably one of the few left that could lace solder with a torch.
Wood Brickwork Brick Building material Composite material

Plant Wood Paint Rectangle Art

· Registered
226 Posts
Yes we could do it like that back then. After I got out I learned the coppersmith trade in the ship yard and worked there for 30 years. No jobs like that anymore. They should bring back the vocational schools so kids can learn a trade. PS. My Granddad and my father were coppersmiths. View attachment 283275 My Dad at work.
Your dad looks like Paul Drake.
Hansome man.

· Registered
260 Posts
Is that for cleaning?
For cleaning a quick wipe with Ruby fluid and rinse took care of that. I was using film the last time I did anything fancy. In the pics I was replicating the original 1780's work on a church. The steeple had a complete restoration. I always felt a connection to the previous workers when recreating their work hoping to keep it there for another century or 2. Funny thing is I only did copper 3 times in 39 years. I was a welder by specialty.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts