Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid, Chris Craft was thought of as a good boat. I recently bought my first boat, a 1978 29' Chris Craft, and 2-3 other people who have owned boats for years have said that Chris Craft used to make a good boat.

What year(s) did the quality decrease? Did it ever go back up? How is the quality of recent Chris Craft's?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe it started when they were bought out in the early 80's. I had an 1980 21' that I bought new. The same model 3 years later that I went on at the boat show looked the same from the outside but when I went on you could really tell the difference. Everything was of cheaper quality. I rode that boat hard for 5 years and did only routine maint. and upkeep, nothing broke or degraded to point of needing replacement. Sold it for what I paid for it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think in the early eighties time frame, Chris Craft had a lot of new cheap-boat competition breaking into, and expanding, the market. Sadly, I think Chris Craft chased their competition into the cheap and flashy market, and the craft is shot after five years.
I do like the looks of their new, bigger boats. Haven't been on one, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I love my boat and she seems to be in great shape for a 27 year old. I love the 6'5" head room since I am 6'3". I just hope I am as pleased with it in 6 months as I am after two 2 hour cruises.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ive got the 21ft. c.c. scorpian 83 model chris craft and love it. bought this boat 3 years ago and have had many trips to the bay in some pretty snotty seas, and have always been impressed with the ride this heavy deep vee boat provides.

bob h.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.