Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do a few chumming trips each year out of Buzz's, (night chumming is a blast) I always end up being chum boy 'cause Wayne (WJZINK) is captain, and I'm strangely drawn to it. I try to be "neat" about slinging ground fish around but in the morning the boat is disgusting. (Wayne drives, I drink, so it ends up pretty gross, but we slay the fish, so it's not all my fault.) Last summer gooddog let us borrow his chum tube and we hammered the blues, but at the end we lost his chum tube, he was very cool about it. Anyway, I'm in the midst of designing my own, and before I screwed it up I'm soliciting advice. I have two 2' hunks of 4" diameter PVC, four couplers, and four screw in tops. I'm thinking of having Mike grind it directly in the two tubes, sticking them in a bucket on the way out and putting on top off the cleat, and another on the bottom. At the end of the trip, screw off tops, rinse, brush with a toilet brush, stick back in bucket and hopefully wake up to a nicer smelling boat. (It's hell with a hangover) I need advice on a weighting system. For the cleat no problem, I'll put a rock in first and dump the whole thing. How about ideas for the bottom tube? I have 1/4" screw eyes, nuts and washers. I don't have a lead melter, but wouldn't also melt the top if I could poor lead in it? Sorry for the long post, but I'm planning on doing these right. How about hole diameter and number for the tubes also? Mark Oh yeah, thinking of cutting them down a few inches to make them more stable in the bucket on the ride out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Easy way to add weight would be with concrete. Just pour in 3-4 inches into the tube.

You can also tie a down rigger ball to the pipe.

There is a cool thing called - I think - Chum Churn ( or something like that ).

It hangs over the side - you add fish and turn a handle. SS blades turn the fish into chum. Holes along the sides release the chum.

Old school way to chum is to use frozen 1 gallon containers - placed in an onion sack.

Depending on water temp. and waves - lasts 1-2 hours.

Easy clean up - just toss it away in the dumpster.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
cut teeth around the bottom edge of the inner tube, use whole fish and just plunge the inner tube up and down. I made mine about 2 foot long, tied a rope to the outer tube and left it hang over the side. Do a google search, lots of different ideas and approaches. You can drill a hole in the center of the large tube plug, feed a piece of rope thru the hole and tie a weight to the end

1 - 3 of 3 Posts