Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys use fishfinder rigs when chunking/chumming? If so, how do you Fish the entire water column? I typically use 2 ounce weights, with the fishfinder rig and I feel like all of my baits are on or near the bottom.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
Do you guys use fishfinder rigs when chunking/chumming? If so, how do you Fish the entire water column? I typically use 2 ounce weights, with the fishfinder rig and I feel like all of my baits are on or near the bottom.
I use a fish finder rig and just adjust my weight to be where I want to be. It depends on the current. Start with no weight and see where you are.......Gary

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I use fish finder rigs when putting baits on the bottom. These allow a fish to pull line without feeling the 2 to 4 oz sinker often needed to hold bottom in current.

If I see fish off bottom - I will use lighter weights. Sometimes on the same fishfinder rig. The fish will feel the weight though since line can not slide freely unless weight is on bottom.

I'll sometimes just add 2-3 big split shot and allow free line so bait sinks deep as it drifts away from boat. I watch for line to " tick " or speed up - signaling a hit.

I guess the depth by line angle and amount of line out. Best hits are when line is out 20 - 45 * angle. If much higher - often smaller fish get to bait.

With 20 inch min. - I fish on on near bottom 90% of the time. Seems better fish hold near bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts