Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Secretary of the Maryland Department of Environment has anounced that MDE and DNR will conduct studies this year to determine if chumming has a meaningful impact on water quality of the Chesapeake Bay. They will be looking at the following:

(1) Frequency of chumming in general and at specific locations
(2) Amount and types used. (Specifically as it relates to potential or actual Biological Oxygen Demand)
(3)Potentual for the spead of fish disease
(4) Effects on water quality

The Department has concluded that, given the scientific uncertainty regarding the impact of chumming on the health of the Chesapeake Bay and its aquatic life at the present time, there is no basis for a moritorium while the Department collects additional information. Captain Bartlett respects the Department's conclusion in this regard, but asks the Department to require that chum used during the 2007 season (or any future season) be sterlized, pusuant to the recomendations of United States Fish and Wildlife Service Fish Disease Leaflet 55, or be cooked as recomended by the American Fisheries Society, to avoid the spread of fish disease.

I'm very pleased with the results of the petition!

Norm

·
Registered
370 Posts
what a joke

This is a F%&*ing joke. I can't believe that they are actually wasting their time with this!!!!!Why not worry about things that we know actually effect water quality that are under their jurisdiction, like: banning menhaden fishing, Oysters, non point source pollution!!!! This is a joke!!! Did you know that and adult menhaden filters over four gallons of water every couple of minutes!! Imagine if they were brought back to their historical levels! Their used to be enough oysters in the Bay that the entire bay system was filtered every twelve hours. Yet they are going to waste money and time to look into whether dumping ground up fish in the water hurts the bay. Even though this practice has gone on for a very long time, and can in now way hurt anything. Dissolved Oxygen levels plummet in the bay due to the amount of algae that we find here, which is the direct result of an over abundance of Nitrogen a Phosphates and other nutrients. Lets not actually look at the culprits…….. let's wonder about chumming????? Not actual methods of fishing in the bay that we know are harmful, like: gill netting, purse seining, dredging, and clamming by water jet.

This is just another example of the idiots in the DNR, the same ones that agreed to this ridiculous spring season. Ever wonder how many fish are going to be killed when they are caught trolling, put in a net, flopped on the deck, handled, measured and thrown overboard? I do!!! But guess what??? There has not been a hooking mortality study done on these big spring fish when caught trolling, so no one knows. They did one several years ago on fish caught on the flats with light tackle and that's why they opened up the fishery there to catch and release, but no one has done any hooking mortality studies on rockfish caught in the bay trolling, so we might just end up killing a ton of fish this year. You know the same charters that used to catch a limit and go back are know going to be catch and releasing a bunch of fish to get in that slot limit, and all those fish will be handled by net. Causing unknown damage to the fish?

I get so frustrated reading this and even more frustrated to know there are fishermen on here who probably support this. Why can't we get organized here like in Florida and ban nets, and other truly harmful practices? Why can't we get to organized and make certain fish a game fish, and do things that we KNOW are good for the fishery, instead of wasting out rime with this???? Chumming, a method of fishing used all over the world to pursue almost every kind of fish, but wait ……it might be harmful here in the bay?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tell us what you really think?

Chumming is a form of pollution. You have to start somewhere, but at least their is attention being put on this issue.

I wonder what you, fishcop, have done to get people involved in the Bay's issues, or are you just another armchair manager of resource.

"Hell the oysters are the problem, and menhaden, we need more menhaden"

Yet you dare get pissed off at someone who is trying to clean up the Bay, because you think his idea is worthless?

Go fertilize your lawn or show someone some actions that you have taken hillbilly

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hey Norm good going its about time the state is looking into it. I wonder how many on here that don't support what you are doing complain about others poluting.

Hey fishcop you want somthing done like you are talking about. Well why don't you do like norm and get it started. Instead of just giving it lip servise.

Rather you like it or not. Norm at least didn't like somthing that he thought was harmful. Did some home work and then did what he thought was right. i for one give him alot of credit.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Yeah, Good Job Norm!

Fantastic tenacity while convincing the Govt to use public funds on a way to create criminals out of your fellow fisherman!!! NICE JOB!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Great job Norm why don't you have them raise taxes or add some more taxes to our licenses and registrations to fund your crusade. If you are a government employee you need to get your a%% back to work and quit wasting my tax dollars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Norm,

Thanks for your efforts.

Like stopping lawn fertilizer runoff, it's a no brainer. It's going to take a long time to change some minds, I'm affraid.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ross-Your 100% correct but the word is getting out more and more each day. I think we've come a long way since Rachel Carson wrote the book SILENT SPRING. Golf courses are a major cause of nonpoint source run off and this is being talked about more and more. The answer is for more poeple to get involved with educating the public. When you try to change anything people get upset. I feel the grief that Al Gore is going thru with his campain to make people aware of global warming. Its not a pleasant experiance but its nothing compared to the number of days John McCain spent in a Vietnam jail cell! Then he comes home and finds out that his wife has remarried!

Norm

·
Registered
775 Posts
Lets see, whose name can I associate with to bolster my case? Oh, I know, AlGore, inventor of the internet, occupier of an extremely ungreen mansion and one of the all time greats at do as I say, not as I do. A liar and hypocrite is a great choice.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I've never met Norm, but I'm assuming he's a really good guy. He's really latched on to this chumming issue, and while I can respect his persistance, I completely disagree with his cause.

I really wish he would focus his energy elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Well I know Norm and call him a friend for going on 40 years. He is a good guy and really cares about the bay. He is passed 70 years old and has fished and live near the bay his whole life. He is now the oldest guide on the bay. Now tell me he hasn't earned the right to try and stop what he believes is harming the bay. Like I've said before. We fisherman should be the first to stop somthing that is harming the waters, if we are going to ask others to do the same.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Well for a number of years. When I lived in Md. I was in a club that had a clean water action comm. That I chaired. We stop the build of two treatment plants just over the Pa. line that where going to have bypass valves. We fought them and won. They had to do away with the by pass valves and increase the size of the plants to meet needs of the area for 25 years.
Now I'm in a group here in Delaware fighting to stop builders from building right up to the waters edge in environmentally sensitive areas. We are supporting denrec's 100 foot buffer zone, which the builders are trying to stop.
So I'm trying to do my part. And you?????

1 - 20 of 112 Posts