Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a chumming report for mid bay....TPL area plus or minus?....PM's are fine if you want. Thanks

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Chummed 3 times, 2 limits if it was 5/16, biggest 27 3/4". One skunk but it was a short afternoon trip and the next morning was pretty good, west side near where you are speaking of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any tips for chumming. Did it once last year with no success. Dont have a grinder but will buy a frozen block with a bag. Also have a bucket with holes I made but havent used yet. My main concern is just getting my buddies some action. Only trolled first 2 weekends and it was really slow. I leave out of Deale so hopefully I dont have to run to far. Whats the best bait this time of year, cut up bunker. I know some people use razor clams later in the summer.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any tips for chumming. Did it once last year with no success. Dont have a grinder but will buy a frozen block with a bag. Also have a bucket with holes I made but havent used yet. My main concern is just getting my buddies some action. Only trolled first 2 weekends and it was really slow. I leave out of Deale so hopefully I dont have to run to far. Whats the best bait this time of year, cut up bunker. I know some people use razor clams later in the summer.
In the spring it is more of a location thing, 25'-40' ....For the most part......Dumping Grounds, Tolley, Hackets, WR Lumps, off Poplar, all along KI, Podickery, ect, ect...I like a weighted bucket on bottom and light chunking from top.....don't feed'm just get them interested.

Later into early summer/late spring it becomes more of a traditional chumming process......find structure holding fish, or fish holding and position boat and chum.....I like a bucket/ladle....grinder is best, but makes a mess.....Fresh chum is best, cut LY for baits.....you can sweeten it up with whatever you want......I'ved used grass shrimp, clams, commercial oil soaked into cat food ect, but always started with good fresh LY chum....but some love clams too. Reason I like bucket/ladle is you can control it. Position baits at various levels with various weights to cover water column......don't forget to place a bait or two......preferable nice big chunk or head on the bottom right behind the boat.....big fish are lazy and will work up a chum line along bottom.....much like hanging well below and down current fro working fish, just lazily swimming and picking up scraps.......

PS....you don't want your baits to spin!....

·
Registered
885 Posts
For TF newcomers, rocksandblues is making reference to what was a thoroughly and frequently debated topic in this forum before live-lining and LTJ curtailed most of the summer chumming effort in MD. Between the harvest of menhaden for bait and then dumping of millions of tons of them back into the water processed into chum, some members were concerned it was not a very ecosystem friendly way to fish. I would guess the chumming effort now is 1% of what it was in the 90s and early 2000s, and that dramatic drop off ended interest in the debate. There used to be an almost daily chum slick on the Bay stretching from Rock Hall to the VA line... Good times, light tackle, lots of rockfish, bluefish, plus some croaker and flounder mixed in.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For TF newcomers, rocksandblues is making reference to what was a thoroughly and frequently debated topic in this forum before live-lining and LTJ curtailed most of the summer chumming effort in MD. Between the harvest of menhaden for bait and then dumping of millions of tons of them back into the water processed into chum, some members were concerned it was not a very ecosystem friendly way to fish. I would guess the chumming effort now is 1% of what it was in the 90s and early 2000s, and that dramatic drop off ended interest in the debate. There used to be an almost daily chum slick on the Bay stretching from Rock Hall to the VA line... Good times, light tackle, lots of rockfish, bluefish, plus some croaker and flounder mixed in.
^^^^ yup....about same time physteria...aka fisher and disease, aka flesh eating disease was making the news......there was lots of talk about " nutrient load" and chumming......that's why I didn't even respond, knew he was trolling :).....no harm

Ps....Rgardner.....is that you outta the south river?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
so is our bay
so the lack of fishing reports and interesting and helpful posts are because of the health of the bay?

No, fishing reports have moved to FB and private websites. Bashing and the enviro police have crushed this site down to a handful of thick skinned posters and a cacophony of " my FIL is in town help me catch fish, you are killing all the breeders, the bay is doomed, etc"

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:chugbeer:

so the lack of fishing reports and interesting and helpful posts are because of the health of the bay?

No, fishing reports have moved to FB and private websites. Bashing and the enviro police have crushed this site down to a handful of thick skinned posters and a cacophony of " my FIL is in town help me catch fish, you are killing all the breeders, the bay is doomed, etc"
Yup.....that's why I've stayed away....plus I've had little to share since I've been so busy last few years

Anyway, hoping to get out this week or next...I'll let y'all know results

·
Registered
59 Posts
The school sized fish aren't congregated enough to throw out the anchor until mid-June. Plus honestly I've never really had that much luck chumming in the last several years. Seems live-lining has essentially become the new chumming, but the spot don't show up until July. I think you have more success live lining compared to chumming since chumming attracts way to many bluefish from every damn direction. Used to mate for a charter guy in high school and he'd get pissed if I threw half eaten spot overboard, saying it attracted bluefish, and I think he was right!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you older guys on the forum think that its just natural for fishing techniques to change overtime. I remember trolling with my old man and he'd be using surgical hoses and spoons all summer long. Now i rarely ever catch fish on spoons or hoses. I read an interesting scientific article on the stress's of fish populations and the revolution of plastic lures. It statistically correlated that the more a population of fish was under stress the more likely that population would be under extreme natural selection conditions, and it would be more likely that techniques would change rapidly. They used a lot T and P tests to back up their data. I studied statistics in college, and the study seemed statistically sound

·
Registered
575 Posts
When I first got out of college (1980) and started fishing the bay, people trolled with large spoons and surgical hoses because the bay was dominated by 8-15lb blues from May-September. These were the available trollling lures...don't recall ever seeing any skirt tupe lures back then. Rockfishing was more of a late summer and fall event, bottom bouncing and very slow trolling with bucktails and 4-6 inch pork rind. Then for some reason the big blues stopped showing up and then came the rockfish moretorium from 1985-1989. After the moratorium, the rockfishing was awesome and started to see the emergence of rubber baits and skirts. Big spoons still work and I am sure that rubber hose would as well, just no one uses them anymore. Back in the day, never saw planer boards either. Everyone just trolled their 2-6 rods off their boats.

When I first started fishing the bay in 1980, the trout fishing was also very good. You could go to deep holes and find schools of 3-5lb seatrout. In the fall you could go out and find huge schools of big blues...5lb plus up to 15lb blues...cast to them and they would tear up your drags and arms.

Personally, I think they should put a moratorium on rockfish every 5 years...2 year moratorium, then 5 years of fishing. Do completely away with the early spring fishing....start around May 15 when the majority of fish have spawned....and no early catch and release either. Just my Opinion

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you older guys on the forum think that its just natural for fishing techniques to change overtime.
Patterns in general change......I am 38, grew up in annapolis.....and even I remember when if you had a truck you were a *******.....until someone was moving or needed a load of wood. I remember bottom bouncing 3 ways with bucks ails and pork rinds in the fall at #4 and # 6 in the fall on the south river.....I think there are many more boaters, jet skiers and fishermen.....I think there is a lower quality of water and less suitable habiats for said fish/crabs so as other factors such as quality habitat, prey avaliabilty, quantity of target species ect,ect all change ...it is only natural for practices to change......I also remember slammer blues tearing acres up at a time and gator trout schooled up under.......so maybe the rockfish have changed a little too since they no longer have to contend with the 5-15lb bluefish and 5-10lb seatrout?......I'm sure some of you all remember rag mop lures....or when poplar island was nothing but a shallow flat of tree stumps and a couple acres of island.

Everything is dynamic and or cyclical so we just change with it.....

I am my no means taking credit for introducing the idea, but for a few years n the mid 90's me and a few friends live lined perch in Kent narrows.....meanwhile no one else was....we tore'm up....then everytime was doing it....then it changed to livelining spot.....same with planners...there were a few mavericks that used planner boards 20 years ago....now it is common place

1 - 20 of 20 Posts