Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
We were in the Baltimore all day yesterday. We ended up calling it quits from trolling around 6:30 and tile fished until 8pm. We heard a couple boats talking about overnighting. One of them said he was planning to chunk some and if nothing happened, chum for sharks. There were YFT in a pretty concentrated area. Curious to know why it would be too early. Never chunked so trying to learn. Thx.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were in the Baltimore all day yesterday. We ended up calling it quits from trolling around 6:30 and tile fished until 8pm. We heard a couple boats talking about overnighting. One of them said he was planning to chunk some and if nothing happened, chum for sharks. There were YFT in a pretty concentrated area. Curious to know why it would be too early. Never chunked so trying to learn. Thx.
How'd make out? Any YFT OR tilefish ITB?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Chungking usually starts when the boat traffic increases and forces the fish deep. The troll bite is usually pretty good early in the year until everybody and their grandmother's start fishing. The fish tend to stay in deeper water with a lot of surface activity and also when the surface water gets warm. They'll start going deep and periodically coming up when that happens. When the fish are deep you have to chunk or jig or hope you're in the right spot when they come up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oh.......... The unwritten law is that we ask for tuna fishermen not to chunk until after the OC Tuna Tourney because that is a strictly trolling tournament. The "rule" has not been well respected lately because, let's face it, we all want to catch tuna. However, the OCTT is a big money tourney so OC regulars ask for the cooperation. Catching tuna on the troll can be more challenging if there are chunckers around. Note I said "can". I have out fished chunckers while trolling, but generally it is more difficult.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oh.......... The unwritten law is that we ask for tuna fishermen not to chunk until after the OC Tuna Tourney because that is a strictly trolling tournament. The "rule" has not been well respected lately because, let's face it, we all want to catch tuna. However, the OCTT is a big money tourney so OC regulars ask for the cooperation. Catching tuna on the troll can be more challenging if there are chunckers around. Note I said "can". I have out fished chunckers while trolling, but generally it is more difficult.
Very good explanation of something many of us probably didnt know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts