Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has done any chunking/chumming in Eastern Bay or around BPL or Poplar island. I have done some LTJ and some livelining around BPL and Poplar, but never any chunking or chumming. Just thought I would try to chunk up some bigguns if I didn't have any luck with the jigging. I only have a 21' Jon boat so I hav to pick and choose my days to venture out into the bay for trolling. Any advice or insight is appreciated.

Steve
Blacklabde

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Was up in Cape May NJ last weekend. Those guys are hammering stripers on chunked LY. The DEL bay and Cape May rips are almost exclusively a bait fishery. I think here and there guys up there will bounce bucktails, but nothing like the trolling and LTJ scene we have on the Chesapeake. From what I gathered, they will either drift live eels through the rips and holes, or they will anchor up and chunk LY. I know the eeling thing gets going around the CBBT in the winter, but I don't remember hearing guys talking about chunking LY in the Chesapeake during the fall / winter. Really amazing how close Lewes/Cape May is to Annapolis as the crow flys, but how different the fishing cultures seem to be. Well I guess at least this is my perception.

So the question for me is : Do fish just not respond to these tactics in the Chesapeake, or is it just that fisherman here don't like to employ these tactics. If chunking LY doesn't work this time of year here as well as it does there, I'd love to know why.

Norman

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Norman,
That's kind of what I was thinking. I really have to pick my days to venture out into the Del Bay in a 21' jon boat, but since I bought this boat I have fished a lot in Eastern Bay and the Choptank. I even launched out of Matapeake in the spring and trolled during the trophy season. I just figured that if chunking worked well over here on the rock why wouldn't it work over in the Chesapeake. I am always up for something to improve my odds of catching the bigguns, lol. I am going to be in Eastern Bay try to jig em up on Tuesday and may even try some trolling so we shall see i guess.

Steve
Blacklabde

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I just think the difference is in terminology more than a difference in tactics. I tend to lump chumming/chunking together since they both involve dispersing bait to attract fish. Chumming has always been a popular method in the Bay although has kinda dropped off since livelining became popular. Alot of people are turned off by chumming because of the mess and cost of FRESH chum. Chumming/chunking would likely be productive now although you may not find alot of people doing that because of the availability of FRESH chum which is preferable to the frozen or dry stuff. Also; because of the influx of Bluefish we had this year, chumming/chunking tends to attract them as well but they are pretty much gone now. If that appeals to you I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try now as long as you can find the necessary components.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
...Alot of people are turned off by chumming because of the mess and cost of FRESH chum...
It seemed to me that the bait shops around Cape May really seemed to specialize and focus on getting fresh LY. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the success rate the locals are having up there.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You have to pick your spot and fish that area for a 6-8hrs...Bunker, Bunker, and more Bunker======HOGS

Thats what they guy did last weekend in Cape May and won the tournament.. 44pounder

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It seemed to me that the bait shops around Cape May really seemed to specialize and focus on getting fresh LY. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the success rate the locals are having up there.
Yes, definitely FRESH chum (LY) is a must. I was referring to what's available locally this time of year. Probably still available but might have to look a little harder to find it locally. I'm sure bait shops in the Cape May area are on top of it judging by what's going on up there.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Some charters chunk just north of the bay bridge this time of year IF they can get fresh bait.Frozen is no good.

No doubt it would work in our area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts