Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this constant problem? I have had 4 Clark Spoons in the last month that the hooks break off. Yesterday I put on a Clark Spoon and hooked it in the eye of the rod and put the rod in a rod holder on my t-top and went out fishing. When I got to my spot the Clark Spoon was hanging loose cause the hook broke off. The 2nd Clark Spoon I had on a way back and it was hit and as soon as I started to reel in the fish the line went slack and when I reeled it in the hook was again broke in half. This happened earlier in the year when I went to Va. and trolled Macks. I'm done with um. I cant believe the company can get away with selling junk $hit. I cant be the only one this happened too. I don't care if people fill their coolers with Macks and the only thing they bite is a Clark Spoon, I wont buy another

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yes, many times. Now always use Drone spoons. Size 0, 1, and 2. Silver with gold tape is best for Macks, but other colors work too. More fish, no hook issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same problem a few years ago. I called the company and they sent me a box of replacement hooks.

Its worth a try.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As others mentioned drones are catching the macs better anyways. As of now I'm running 1 and 1 1/2 sIzes for macs and rock. Number 1 planner 120
Back is king!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've used clark spoons for years. i try to always fw wash the gear. They will break on occasion. i did find a place that sells replacement hooks for them though. i've had drone hooks break too & know of no replacement for them.

clarks are my go to trolling lure when the bluefish are in - so it is what I usually use all summer. i also checked my hooks before going out & replaced those needing it before incidents.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I tend to change out the hooks for better quality .... then I use some "lock tight" for the little screw. Haven't had issues since ... except for bite offs of course.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Have used the Clarks for years, always been an issue with the hooks regardless of maintenance done. I generally replace with new every few trips. I have quite a collection of hookless ones that would like to replace with a better quality hook than Clark provides as a replacement. Can someone post the hook and manufacture that they use for the replacement. I have found a few different styles but not happy with the results. Thanks

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Tape Peeling on Small Drone Spoons

I have had a couple break offs with the hooks on Clarks, but I've also had a quality control issue with Drones. With the small Drone spoons, I've had the glitter tape peel partially off, and I have to glue it back on with Super Glue. Anyone else have this happen with the Drones?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My wallmart in hampstead does not sell drones just clarks. But the larger gold clarks have stainless hook's. were is a wallmart that sell's drones

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have had a couple break offs with the hooks on Clarks, but I've also had a quality control issue with Drones. With the small Drone spoons, I've had the glitter tape peel partially off, and I have to glue it back on with Super Glue. Anyone else have this happen with the Drones?
Every Drone I've ever owned has had the glitter tape peel off, usually after the first trip. They still catch fish, but its very frustrating especially for what they cost! $$$

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
FWIW:

The Clark spoon company changed the hook awhile ago. Unknown to them - it etched away in saltwater due to electrolysis.

Tony Accetta smaller spoons also had a change of hooks - these would bend open to an L shape.

Why they change a proven hook makes no sense.

For the Drone spoons with tape - before using - coat the edges of tape ( not tape itself ) with 2 thin coats of clear nail polish. This seals the tape to the metal and will keep it free coming off.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Same problem here. The bummer of it is that Clarks always out-perform drones for me when Mac trolling; otherwise, I would never buy another Clark.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Type and Size of Leaders?

Same problem here. The bummer of it is that Clarks always out-perform drones for me when Mac trolling; otherwise, I would never buy another Clark.
My experience has been exactly the opposite in that drone spoons have caught more Mac's with Clark's catching more blues. Maybe it was the 20 lb. fluorocarbon leader I was using with drone spoons when my buddy was catching blues with Clark's and 30 lb. mono leaders. So what size and type leader do the successful Mac fishermen prefer? And does anyone else paint their planers flat black? We lost a couple of unpainted shiny planers this year, maybe to red drum strikes, before remembering to paint the planers flat black.
Tom

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Has anyone contacted Clarkspoon about the hook issues? Any response from them in regard to this matter? Just curious. Thank you

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Has anyone contacted Clarkspoon about the hook issues? Any response from them in regard to this matter? Just curious. Thank you

Zigh
><((((*>
Yes they were very responsive and sent me a bunch of new hooks to replace the old ones for all the sizes I have. They provided very good customer service.

But weak hooks are still a problem even with brand new lures--it seems the problem is not fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts