Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many of you guys are having the problem of Clark spoons and broken hooks? We now have to check them after EVER hit to make sure they still have a hook on them?

I know they sell replacement hooks but that should let them know they have a serious quality issue.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We break some every trip. No longer buy clarks. Gradually replacing them with other spoons. Been having the problem for years and Clark has done nothing to solve it. I always wonder how many good fish we have lost because of the poor quality of those spoons.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
From past TF postings, I see that Sea Striker was aware of this problem as far back as 2005. They were unsure of the reason back then, but were hoping to resolve it. From more recent 2015 TF posts, anglers are still experiencing a problem.

Below is a cut and paste from an old TF post. Not sure if the old (2005) phone numbers are still valid?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Sea Striker To: 'xxx xxxxxxxx' Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 10:47 AM Subject: RE: Defective Spoons

We are aware of a problem with the hooks in a couple of the models, mostly #0 and #1 Clarkspoons. We use Eagle Claw hooks and they are trying to figure out why they are breaking. The hooks ARE stainless steel and made in the USA. Though we have replaced the hooks in the spoons for our distributors and checked our stock, there is no way to determine what stores have the specific spoons effected. This is because we use a network of distributors and do not know the product rotation habits of the stores. I can assure you that nothing has changed at Clarkspoon as far as the type of hook we use or the supplier. Eagle Claw has assured us that they have resolved this issue but only time will tell. We are currently looking at using a solid steel hook (stronger) with a 'salt-guard' finish instead of a stainless steel hook. The upside would be a stronger hook but less salt resistant. In the meantime, we will send replacement hooks to anyone that contacts us.
Phillip Henry
[email protected]
www.seastriker.com
252.247.4113, ext 234
252.247.2219 fax

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I havent had as many break in the past few years as in previous years...but did learn the hard way (multiple times) to make sure a hook is there after a knockdown.
I bought 6 Chartreuse one time this summer. All 6 broke.. Some even broke prior to hitting the water-- just hooked up to rod!
I emailed them , telling them I keep 32 rigs set up and have more than 50 spoons. they sent me 50 replacement hooks.
I have a hook or 2 break every trip. So, Just like the loss/ cut off of a spoon, it has now become part of the game. I keep a small screwdriver and hooks ready in tackle-box.

Does anyone know of good on-line place to order Drone spoons? ( at good price)
Is $10-13 the going price?

Jrocket, know what you mean.. I like to check hook even if I see rod tip "bounce" .. I have seen multiple hits on a spoon that lost its hook. make you wonder how many you lost due to to much stainless steel in hooks.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have been slowly switching over to Drones. Both Clarks and Drones seem to work well for me. My confidence in the quality of the Clark hooks has dropped. But it may take a long time before I use them all up. I am also going to start sealing the edges of the flash tape on the Drones with fingernail polish to help reduce peeling. Its too bad that my 2 favorite Mac lures have some problems. They work great so I will keep using them.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Drone spoons in silver with gold tape (sizes 0, 1, and 2) will get you more mackerel than any other lure, and you won't have the hook problem that drove me to start looking for something other than Clark spoons for mackerel trolling. You should be able to find them for $4-$8, you might be able to get your friendly local tackle dealer to let you piggy back onto their bulk order (ordering by the dozen) to get them at the lower end of that price range. The tape will start to peel after some fish, but that's a lot better than fish lost due to broken hook. I buy replacement gold tape and when they get ragged I bring them home and re-tape.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks like Clark spoons busted my theory of made in China metals, but I was having issues with Drone spoons and not sure where they are made. Also when I buy replacements they are not in a factory labeled bag come to think of it. Assume retailer buys bulk and repacks but will ask next time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
For replacement hooks try a Mustad 34009==SS bigeye. A 3/0 measures 1-1/16 of straight shank before the bend. Couldn`t find my Clarkes to verify if that works. Maybe go up to 4/0?

Also Eagle Claw 254 SS hooks are bigeye but a tad shorter for 3/0.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
The package clarkspoon sent me for #1's Is marked 254A 5/0 Lazer Sharp.

I just looked in my box spanish box. I have some old spoons that I still use. Cathers is one name brand. Reflecto is another.
I remember seeing Refleco somewhere on-line.. But the Cathers seem to be a much better spoon (spanish and rock) and from what I remember
I could not find them 10yrs ago.
The refleco has is lighter/thinner metal with a broad head ,kinda like drone. Gives the more side to side action -- ( reason I like crippled alewife for rock) but at higher speeds,,, it can cause more twist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts