Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a less Gov is better kind-of-guy, but after this weekend I really think new boaters need to take a mandatory class!! I saw more boats being towed then ever before. The real examples started early in the weekend Sat morn. I was on my boat in the slip preparing for the day when two jet skiers came by who were exploring and looking at the boats. Thats fine, but they could not control their speed very well. They created large pulses of wake and really should not have been rocking the boats. I also saw jet skis buzzing anchored fishing boats.

Most every day I could find examples of poor seamanship and a general lack of boating knowledge. But, a friend called and told me about an example that cystalized my new feelings.

He was out going for a cruise and spoted someone he knew on their brand spanking new boat. They did not recognize him and he just shadowed them for a while. When they saw him and stopped they had a nice exchange of hellos. BUT, they had trouble working the radio, did not know what channels to use, and asked "WHAT DO ALL THESES BOUYS MEAN?" Meaning they had zero navigational knowledge. He also had to stop them from crossing a very shallow bar that they certainly would have grounded on. I use to not care if someone tore up their boat due to ignorance and we all make mistakes. However, I now worry about people getting hurt, especially kids.

Whew i feel better...

·
Registered
35 Posts
For just being young i have to agree with you. Last year i saw a guy drown...not like we saw it happen and didn't help(i would if i could) but it was that we saw him swimming for his boat and thought nothing of it and five minutes later we looked at the boat and there was no one there. The guy couldn't swim very well and wasn't wearing a life jacket. That's want the family and coast guard concluded to. So i never what anyone to go throught that. Safety is a huge thing and i also agree about a manadtory class because i have also saw as much boat towing and people not knowing what they are doing. I took the class so i know how much it helps.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree with the posts above, I have towed a grounded 30 foot sailboat off a bar at the edge of a narrow channel - no charts aboard - duh?, seen people swim from boats and have a hard time swimming back to the boat because of tide, current and wind moving the boat away from them faster than they could swim, seen people anchor to fish in a narrow channel etc. . . .

Even in spite of having been in Sea Explorers as a teenager and studiing navigation, buoys, etc. I have still gotten on the wrong side of buoys twice when the channels changed (behind Cobb Island and behind Assateaque near Ocean City) If I'd looked at my charts I would have avoided grounding the boat. No harm done either time, but the point is I've still done bonehead things even having a course, so its that much worse for people with no clue!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree, a boating class (that starts in the classromm then the ramp) would help and make the jet skiers take it too (they never realize there are no brakes until they are 5' away from the dock). However, just cuase you get towed doesn't mean you are a beginer or irresponsible...happens to the best of them.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think there ought to be a boating courtesy segment to it too. Last Monday I was anchored up at the Triangle chumming for Rockfish. A couple of boats ran my Chum slick and the some goof came roaring up through all the boats throwing up a big wake. I waved at him and he cut his throttle, coasted to a stop fairly well behind me, tossed out his anchor and started to fish and party. A couple hours later he pulled anchor and roared off like an idiot again.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm with you R+B....this weekend ...IGNORANCE and just plain STUPIDITY was on full display....
I was in the Wicomico crabbing on Sun and I saw people without a clue!....It's dangerous...these people have boats and jet skis and go out now and then and don't have a clue as far as "rules of the road"...so to speak....I feel stupid sometimes...I've got pots out by cobb island and when I check em' it might be some rented carolina skiffs from Quade's or Cobb Island...either way I slow as I pass them as to not beat em' up.....
then I go outta solomon's and people go full throttle 20' off your stern.......and then wave to you.....I'll never get that? It's like dude you're a MORON ....what are you doing so close to me....and he's just a waving...like he's looking at a long lost friend..........and GOD forbid a storm come on us........

I'm done[grin]

Tony

·
Registered
309 Posts
#1 lesson should be how to follow the channel in and out of the Yeocomico. Stay to the right of the channel both ways. Don't hug the marker to your port.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The way crabs are runnin' this year so far....I've been in 3' on a regular basis.....It's real tricky some places........got to be careful...I've had buddies that have been beached and had to wait for the tide.....I haven't had the "PLEASURE".....
even with classes.....these "IDIOTS" will still be IDIOTS....they will take the class and some will "HEED"...and most will not...and when a month has passed...the class never happened.... [sad]

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts