No recipe put I find for catfish, as welll as eel, tap them to a tree or board. Cutting through the skin only cut around the head then down the back on both sides of the fins. Get pliars, grab some skin an pull towards the tail. Sometime, depending on the size I make a straight cut from the head to the tail, just through the skin on the belly side.
I used to be a catfish cleaning machine before a fish eating advisory was issued by the state. There are two ways I clean a catfish.
The first way is as follows:
1) If you are right handed hold the fish in your left hand. Cut a slit behind the bone behind the gill on each side.
2) Run the knife from the top of each slit, at an angle, to the rear of the dorsal fin.
3) Run the knife along the back to the tail, just cutting through the skin.
4) Grab the skin with pliers where you made the slits near the pectoral fins.
5) Pull the skin off with pliers.
6) Hold the fish with it's back upward.
7) Cut down at a 45 behind the dorsal fin towards the head, lay the fish on the left side with fish's back facing you.
8) Twist the knife while in slot under dorsal fin follow rib cage while changing the angle of the knife as you cut. Run the knife to the tail and cut the fillet loose. Split the fillet down the lateral line then remove dark meat and the white vien.
9) Flip the fish over on the other side with the back facing you and do the same thing.
Another method is to fillet the fish with the skin on it starting at step 7 above. DO NOT cut fillet loose at the tail. Keep it attached. Flip it over and cut the fillet from the skin. This method gets rid of the membrane on the outer part of the fillet.