Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know your not allowed to clean/cut up rockfish on the boat but can I clean/cut cat fish while on the water?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes. The cleaning of fish on the water has to do with fish that have size and creel limits. Like rock, flounder etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know your not allowed to clean/cut up rockfish on the boat but can I clean/cut cat fish while on the water?
I've seen pictures of mates on multiple charter boats cleaning rockfish while coming in. They claim to keep the carcasses until docked to prove legal length. I get it and it makes sense, but the way the law is written is still illegal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've seen pictures of mates on multiple charter boats cleaning rockfish while coming in. They claim to keep the carcasses until docked to prove legal length. I get it and it makes sense, but the way the law is written is still illegal.
The way the law is WRITTEN................it is perfectly legal as long as they follow the "conditions" presented

C. Filleting Striped Bass.

(1) Except as provided in §C(2) of this regulation, a person may only land striped bass dockside as a whole fish.

(2) A licensed charter boat captain or mate may fillet striped bass taken on a vessel displaying a current commercial charter boat decal under the following conditions:

(a) A striped bass carcass may not be mutilated to the extent that the total length or species of fish cannot be determined;

(b) All striped bass carcasses:

(i) Shall be retained, unmixed with any other material, in a separate container readily available for inspection until the vessel has docked and all passengers from that trip have left the vessel and the dock area; and

(ii) Are included in the possession limit; and

(c) All striped bass carcasses from any previous trip shall be disposed of before any person begins to fish on a subsequent trip.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I read it as any boat.

Striped Bass
Fishing Regulations Icon
MarylandFishing

It is Illegal:
  • To possess any cut up or filleted striped bass at any time aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland. Striped bass must be landed whole.
  • To use more than two hooks or two sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered 1 set of hooks.
  • To use eels as bait while fishing for striped bass with hook and line from Dec. 16–May 15, inclusive, in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
  • To cull striped bass.
  • To possess striped bass while fishing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries from midnight to 5 a.m.
  • To use a gaff to land striped bass.
  • To take or shoot striped bass with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the state.
  • To fish for striped bass by any means or practice catch-and-release of striped bass in designated spawning areas from March 1–May 31.
  • To intentionally snag a striped bass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read it as any boat.

Striped Bass
Fishing Regulations Icon
MarylandFishing

It is Illegal:
  • To possess any cut up or filleted striped bass at any time aboard any boat on the tidal waters of Maryland. Striped bass must be landed whole.
  • To use more than two hooks or two sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered 1 set of hooks.
  • To use eels as bait while fishing for striped bass with hook and line from Dec. 16–May 15, inclusive, in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
  • To cull striped bass.
  • To possess striped bass while fishing in the Chesapeake Bay or its tidal tributaries from midnight to 5 a.m.
  • To use a gaff to land striped bass.
  • To take or shoot striped bass with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the state.
  • To fish for striped bass by any means or practice catch-and-release of striped bass in designated spawning areas from March 1–May 31.
  • To intentionally snag a striped bass.
Problem is that you are reading a "summary", not law as you mentioned. What I posted is LAW, written by the Maryland Legislature, on a .state.md.us webpage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I should clarify, I was asking about catfish.
I understood that, and the very 1st reply was correct. Below is the LAW concerning your question.

My concern was the fact that the next poster incorrectly referenced something that is not written law. Sorry to hijack your post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts