Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best thing to use when trying to clean off the greenish whitish corrosion that builds up around boats and salt water...I have recently been given some reels that have a little on them.....this only forms on the metal parts(chrome)....Thanks in advance,
Robert

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I like using Simple Green, it seems to work OK but I know there’s other stuff out there that will work a lot better. To really help prevent that is to wash your reels off each time you use them I know that I do and I don't have any build up on them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cleaning Reels

THE GREEN STUFF IS CORROSION FROM EXPOSED BRASS. THE CHROME PLATING HAS
WORN OFF AND THE BRASS UNDERNEATH HAS A CHEMICAL REACTION WITH SALT WATER AND A LACK OF CLEANING......RESULT...GREEN CORROSION....I HAVE ONLY DONE PENN REELS BUT I COMPLETLY DISASEMBLE THEM AND CLEAN THEM UP WITH A SOS PAD (NEW) AND HOT RUNNING WATER. THE SOAP IN THE SOS PAD ACTS AS A LUBRICANT TO PREVENT SCRATCHING AND THE FINE STEEL WOOL DOES THE CLEANING.
YOU WILL BE LEFT WITH SOME EXPOSED SPOTS OF BRASS BUT THIS CANNOT BE PREVENTED BECAUSE THATS WHAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. LUBRICATE AND POLISH WITH REEL GREASE BEFORE REASSEMPLY. ALSO WHILE DISSASEMBLED I ALSO CLEAN THE MAROON SIDE PLATES WITH SOS....RUB IN SOME REEL GREASE WITH YOUR FINGERTIP AND POLISH THE SIDE PLATES...RESULT...YOUR REEL WILL LOOK 95% AS GOOD AS NEW.....HOPE THIS HELPS..TOP BANNANA ON THE BONNIE B ........:clap: :clapping2: :clap: :clapping2: :clap: :clapping2: :clapping2: :clap: :clapping2: :clap: :clapping2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts