Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up and older Pamlico tandem off a friend who just couldn't use it any more. It's in decent shape. Has suffered the usual scrapes and scratches over time. The only real indicator that it is older is that he left it sit in the sun all the time. So the nice bright red color is extremely dulled.
I was thinking of cleaning it up and letting another buddy of mine take his son out with us when I go.
Is there any way to bring the color back to life? Repaint like a regular boat? I know it's only cosmetics, but it would be nice to do.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
You got typical UV damage, which also makes the plastic more brittle. The lighter the color the worse the damage. The white areas are going to be the weakest.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you go to the website they have a signup for free samples...they send you a few large wet nap sized "towlettes" with the stuff, enough to trat the yak a few times...seems to work ok. Armor all makes a waterproof UV protector for plastic...
that is what i spray on my yak, no fading yet (blue 2005 tarpon 120)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good call on the 303. I stopped by my local Ace Hardware and treated it as soon as I got home. Saw an instant improvement.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
About scratches-----Because kayaks are dragged across cement boat ramps quite often and deep gouges occur, I was thinking if it is possible to put a layer of fiberglass resin or something on the bottom to take the abuse instead. Anyone know if this or another product will work on plastics?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Nope - nothing will stick to it. Deep gouges can be melted back together with a red hot knife.

Live with it. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Also, save any shavings or scrap from mounting hardware or cutting hatches. These can be melted into gouges later on, and the color should match. I've seen a paint stripping heat gun make a nice repair using shavings from where pilot holes were drilled for deck loops.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
For the gouges could you use a PTEK stick similar to what is used to repair snow ski bases ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts