Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in a "Cliff" style fly box for less than $10?

Been looking around to buy some larger fly boxes and came across this site, I ordered a few "tradesman" - scroll down to see the cases. For a fraction of the cost + a few additional dollars of foam (sticky backed from Michaels = $1), I've got a $40+ "Cliff" style fly box. The tradesman looks exactly like the box style of the "Cliff" ones. Happy savings!!!

http://www.caseclub.com/inexpensive.htm

·
Registered
702 Posts
Good idea & great tip! (Cheap too & I like cheap!)

I'm guessing that you're fishing from a boat with that type box. It doesn't look to be something you would put in a vest pocket.

I think I have a similar box already, I'll have to see what I can come up with as I certainly could use a box for my big bass & Striper flies. I've been using Plano boxes, but they leave a bit to be desired.

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Funny you should post this, I was going to make a similar thread.

I got this box at the craft store for ~$6.

I cut some 6mm foam in 1 inch strips and made perpendicular cuts along the length to hold the flies.

Apply this double sided tape to the foam and stick in the box. This specific tape is important. It's like a raw version of sili-skin, very sticky.

Add flies.

Here's how the foam holds the flies in.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I use small pencil boxes. They are as big as the biggest salt-fly box. They seem to always be on sale at officemax for 1 buck apiece.

I use big plano boxes for my boat-tackle box. The big deep planos go for 5-6 bucks.

Cheapest dense open cell foam is in roll up sleeping pads for camping. It is the perfect size, and 10 bucks=1 roll=enough for 20-30 small boxes, or ten big plano boxes.

I still cant get away from the nice saltwater boxes sold by orvis, but I use these to store, organize, travel, or for carrying a lot on a boat. The planos are good for mamoth offshore/striper flies.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great thread! I use one of the ArtBin ones also.(I think I bought it at Michaels) I put sticky back rippled foam from Bass Pro in it. It's held up great for at least 3 years.:thumbup: I think I might have to order up that big Tradesman from that link TF posted.
Later, Harry

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been looking for foam like that at the Michaels craft store in Aspen Hill, but have had no luck. Where are you guys getting it?

·
Registered
490 Posts
The only 6mm foam I found at michaels came as pre cut door knob hangers...like "do not disturb" signs. They came in packs of 6 or so and are meant for kids to make custom foam hangers for thier rooms. Cheap...just like everything there.

I'd say they're 9"x4" or so w/ a door knob hole in one end.

-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts