Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always hunted from either hang-on stands or wooden ladder stands. I'm thinking about buying a climbing stand.

You that use them can help me decide what to spend my dollars on. What do you use and why do you like it? If you have any bad points about a ccertain stand please toss thm out also.

DEAN

·
Registered
770 Posts
I was the same way till last year.I bought a Summit Viper climbing stand and love it.It has only one fault.It's to damn comfortable.If you aren't carefull you may not wake up in time to see the big buck walking by.........[grin]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Dean I have several from three different manufactures tree lounge, warren & sweat , and buckshot . I like the bucksot best for climbing and hunting out of . tree lounge is hard to climb , but is like sitting in a recliner when hunting . warren & sweat is too lite just dont like it as well as my others .

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I purchased a summit cobra last year and I am very happy with it so far. It is lightweight, easy and silent to climb, and quite comfortable.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You cannot go wrong with a Summit Viper. The Cobra is a nice model also. I like the shooting rail even on a bow stand as it makes me feel even more secure. Easy to climb and comfortable.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a tree lounge. Ever since they redesigned them they seem like a no brainer to me. Especially for MZ hunting! A buddy of mine has had one for three years now. I used it one day and it made my mind for me!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a Summit. I think the model is the Bushmaster. It is designed for bowhunters. It does not have a rail and all the bulky stuff to get in the way. I love it. Just make sure you connect the stand to the seat once up the tree. I wore out the bungee cord straps and replaced them with the plastic foot braces. I lifted up on the platform with the back of my heals and it dropped down about 8 ft. -Kepone

·
Registered
185 Posts
oh yeah that must of been in the stand you were in last year in Ohio...[tongue] How ya feel 'bout living that one again? heheheheh.....I know if I get ya thinking 'bout that you won't sleep for days....over & over in your head you will be thinking 'bout that BIG OHIO RECORD BUCK.....That got away....that was a "gaff & release" was't it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Summit or ol man. If you mainly bow hunt, buy one without the gun rail. Ol man makes a great stand that you can stay in all day. You can't go wrong with either one.
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS !!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dean,
Most of the climbing stands out there, climb real good. What you
need is one thats light and won't sweat you up before you arrive at your stand.
Also, pay close attention to the seat ,because if it ain't comfortable, you won't sit still.
Check out how it attaches to the tree and whether you'll be able
to set it up in the dark and climb in the dark before first light.
Make sure its "QUIET". That means packing it in, and climbing the tree. This is sometimes the hardest to achieve and you might have to customize it a little. I have a Loggy Bayou that climbs great and once its locked on the tree, its like standing on concrete, but the climbing aid is noisy as hell. I have a API bowhunter model thats real light and climbs good, but I hate the sling seat because after 30 minutes it cuts off the circulation to my legs. I ended up removing the seat and installed a piece of five quarter board instead. Beleive it or not, I can sit for hours on that seat.
Lots of guys don't use them, but I do recommend a safety belt or harness. My last stand came with a four point safety harness.
I plan to use it this season. Even an 8-10 foot fall can hurt you, and if you're hunting alone, who's going to find you?
Hope you get a nice one this year.
Kevin

Let the little ones go by!!!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hook1 has some good points, there are several good stands out there and if you find the one that best suits your needs, size etc. it makes for a really comfortable hunt.

A cable or chain locking system around the tree is easier to set up and can be less noisy than an angled bracket, find a comfy seat, pins disappear in the leaves when they fall so if you decide on a stand that has removable pins 1st tie them to the stand & 2nd do some work w/ duct tape or moleskin to make them quiet when they bang against the stand & tape an extra one to the stand, safety harness is a must, some have seats where you can either face the tree or back to the tree which can be a nice option bow vs. gun hunting, be sure to tie the top section to the bottom w/ a safety rope in case the bottom falls out from under you when you're up in the tree.

I'm using an API and 2 others but like the design of the Summit if I were getting a new one.

++ practice makes it a lot easier @ 4am in the dark setting them up w/ a flashlight in your teeth.

Bow season is around the corner.

Russ

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have hunted out of an API for years and I like most of it's features, but I saw a new Buck Shot that will take care of a couple of my problems. One side is connected to an accuator and the other side has a new connection that appears to be both quiet and easy to to hook up even in the dark. You are supposed to be able to adjust the angle while in the tree. I have only seen it in pictures and video on their site. Hope to get my hands on one at the hunting show. If it works like they show I maybe making a change.
Steve [grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Dean, I hunt from an API. Have had it a few years. But if I were to buy one today it would be a Summit. Either the Viper or The 180. They are solid and comfortable. No gimmicks. Nice and stable.

The great thing about a climber is you can go as low or high as you want. It is amazing to go up, take a look around and them adjust your height. A foot difference up or down can make natural shooting lanes come alive. You can also work around the tree. You have all kinds of options.

Get one and practice. There is some good advice in the above posts. You can borrow my stand to play with if you want. Let me know.

Dayton

·
Registered
110 Posts
I see a recurring theme from the above posts, "SUMMIT".
I've never used one, but that many hunters can't be wrong.

There are some stands on the market that allow you to change
the stand-to-tree angle, while you are up the tree. Do any of you have experience with these stands. Are there any standouts?

HOOK1

·
Registered
61 Posts
I sold my Summit Classic and bought a Summit Clearshot. Very simple, light and I can maneuver with my bow much easier that with a regular climber with the bar around the front of you.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
471 Posts
You cannot go wrong with a summit, Ive got two summit climbers and one hang on. The two climbers are the Cobra and Clearshot. And the hangon is the headhunter. They are awesome stands. Very quiet set up and easy to climb, also they are lightweight. The clearshot is an awesome bow hunting climber and lightweight.

BTW you can adjust the angle with the summits while you are up the tree, I dont like to do it but it can be done.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts