Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about getting one but looking at basspro.com it's hard to tell which ones are better or where the value is. plan to check them out in person next time i'm at the store in hampton but wanted to see if you guys can offer person experience. thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree with Big Cat about the Summit, I have a Python XLS; however, I just purchased a new climber called the Equalizer. This stand is GREAT! It has a leveling system that allows the stand to be placed level on the tree at the base and with the use of a gear box mechanisim it allows for leveling as you climb. Here is the link to their web page:

http://www.equalizertreestands.com

They are only available on-line or at hunting shows. I bought one for my Dad also---they are the ticket. Check em out.

Good Luck

Rapprunner

·
Registered
717 Posts
Summit is the ticket for sure. I have hunted many brands over the years and once I purchased the Summit I will never go back. Just make sure you get the collapse model. Makes it a lot easier to move through the woods.

·
Registered
586 Posts
2 words for ya, LONE WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the hand climber and the hang on. They are the lightest easiest to pack and quietest stands I have ever used. Yes they are a bit pricey but you know the old saying.

http://www.lonewolfstands.com/index_flash.asp

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the Viper and it is great. Easy set up, light weight. What ever you buy make sure you take weight into account. When I first started deer hunting a few years ago, I bought a cheaper climbing stand to save money. It was about 10 pounds heavier than my Viper, close to 30 pounds. I though what is an additional 10 pounds and who cares if it is a little bit bigger. Well when you are humping through the woods carrying that thing on your back, it gets a little old. It became a pain in the butt. I left in on the tree last year and someone stole it. I didn't even care. Let some other poor schmo lugg that big think around. I would highly recommend spending the extra money on one that is easy to set up and light weight.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
LONE WOLF ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!

Second choice the Summitts. They're not as compact and I don't like the "cable system" but other than that they're nice.

I have a Lone Wolf climber and wouldn't trade it for anything. Quietest thing in the woods. Even easy to adjust in the tree if need be, although that is never recommended.

If you get one, get some black clothing die and die the traction belts. The clear/white stands out too much. The traction belt has twisted steel cables (10 approx 1/32" each) that run through it should the belt ever crack. I have had mine for probably 5 years now, gets used pretty much every weekend from Sept 15 to Jan 31 and has shown no signs of fatigue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would either go with Summit or API. Just make sure you get something with a bar all the way around the top. The sit/ stand climbing is so much easier than the Bow models.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have three Summit stands and love all of them, lightweight, easy to hang and they are pretty quiet. Summit stands do make a little noise when I am hanging them or taking them off the tree. It might just be the user.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Rapprunner, what's the price on the equalizer stand? I have been looking for a good climber thats safe. With that leveling device it looks like a good one. I know a bunch of guys that have the Summit vipers and love them but i'm not sold on them, still in loc-ons. Bill

·
Registered
339 Posts
[Q]HI TIDES DRIFTER originally wrote:
Hey Rapprunner, what's the price on the equalizer stand? I have been looking for a good climber thats safe. With that leveling device it looks like a good one. I know a bunch of guys that have the Summit vipers and love them but i'm not sold on them, still in loc-ons. Bill
[/Q]
Bill,
I sent you a b-mail.

HV

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I have a lone wolf and it is ok but what I really like is their climbing sticks. $99 for three that will get you up to 16ft or hgher if you start with screw ins. Talk about quiet and easy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is probably a dumb question but what happens when you climb your way 16 ft up a tree with the climbing sticks? are you supposed to find a limb to sit on up there?

so far i like the looks of the summits the most. definitely want one that has a bar that wraps around the front of the seat so i can stand and have something to lean against or sit and rest my gun. also seems safer? i already have a good harness that i use when hunting in ladder stands... since i have a tendency to doze off i'd rather wake up hanging in a harness than with a broken neck on the ground.

thanks for all the replies.

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts