Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a good color combination for clousers to fish for trout in Florida Bay? I will be there in a few weeks and hope to catch a few trout on the fly rod. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sea Hunt,
Try a crab color clouser (olive/tan/white with gold or copper flash) on about a #2 hook. I just returned from Florida and caught trout, redfish, blues, ladyfish, jacks and pompano on that fly.

Kirk

·
Registered
318 Posts
chart. and white never hurts. If water is more stained, rust over yellow, or black over orange. all have a little holographic flash as well.

Todd K

·
Registered
26 Posts
Take an assortment, the first two suggestions are dead on. The crab colors, Chartreuse and another good color is yellow/white with a few strands of copper flashabou and just a couple strands of crylstal flash. I also tie all my materials in on the bottom, hook side, of the fly. This helps to make it weedless. Size wise I use #2, #1, and 1/0. Some short shank and some long shank. Another suggestion is bunny flies, they love them, trout and reds. The tail action gets their attention. Don't go crazy with leaders either7 to 8' is enough. I use small lead eyes or brass and even beed chain in the medium size. I fish there alot, since my son lives down there and have had alot of success with the ones I mentioned.
Capt Dan

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know yer talkin clousers, and for that I'd also add brown over orange or brown over tan with copper flash...

...but it's hard to go wrong with unweighted or lightly weighted (bead-chain) Seaducers down there. Red in front of yellow, red in front of white, all black, or all grizzly.

If there's shallow weeds and your clouser is getting hung up, go w/ the unweighted Seaducer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your reply. I use the crab colored clouser on the Chesapeake Bay for stipers. I also use a cross between a bunny fly and matuka for fresh water trout that works really well. I will be sitting down at the tying bench tonight to tie some of the other patterns you all suggested. Thank you again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your reply. I use the crab colored clouser on the Chesapeake Bay for stripers. I also use a cross between a bunny fly and matuka for fresh water trout that works really well. I will be sitting down at the tying bench tonight to tie some of the other patterns you all suggested. Thank you again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Old Man is also correct. I never go down there without tan/white. The only difference in this fly is that if I add flashabou it is pearl if I don't I put a few strands of pearl crystal flash. I haven't had alot of luck with tan/orange but I can tell you that alot of fly guides and fisherman use it with success. I would also put in some gotchas, tan/gold, all white with the pearl added, don't go overboard with the flashabou or crystal flash.
Capt Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts