Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dredging is a complete waste of money unless they install long rock jetties to make the inlet safe. They can dredge all they want but there is nothing on either side of channel to keep the sand from washing right back in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea but if they don't control it and it shoals up to the point where it fills in, then when a storm comes in and builds up pressure in the sound, nature will install a new inlet some where else which will cause damage to roads and property

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Several weeks ago the dredger was pumping sand into the channel right outside Bonner Bridge. I do not know if there is some engineering logic to doing that. Seems to me it would make it worse. I thought of a reason for pumping into the channel but it is only conjecture and not positive. :eek2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jetties have their own issues. As I understand they tend to dramatically affect the natural flow of sand along a beach. I thought that I had read somewhere that the topography of OI was not conducive to jetties because the entire area is nothing but sand and the length of jetty needed was unrealistic.

It looked to me like the captain was trying to grab attention to the results of gross underfunding. A closed OI is very hard to imagine.

Greg

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Fish trawlers bound for NC have been unloading their NC Quota (with permission) in Hampton for a week now since they cannot get into O I. NC. because of shoalling.

Bob Allen, Hampton VA

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Having to wait for high tide to enter and exit doesn't sound good. The thing is that O/I is constantly changing and it could very easily open back up also after one good storm.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
the inlet will never close itself off, the issue is that shoaling prevents OI having a "navigatable" channel that the Coast Guard deems safe ...... water will flow now and forever through OI, it just might not be safe for boaters, so the CG may have no choice but to close it for all traffic. The channel could develop itself under the South end of the bridge, away from the high rise section, if it's left to mother nature, and there are very few boats that travel that area that could fit through that area of the bridge, it would have to be a small outboard pleasure boat.

The Fed's are cutting back the $$ to 1M annually ...... I guess if the economy suffers enough, the State of NC will have to fund the dredging

1 - 10 of 10 Posts