Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow TFers,

The last couple of year some of the coastal locks I have purchased break as if they are from cheap metal. Looking for recommendations of which brands are the best in your opinions.

Thanks,
Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Kevin, I noticed this yr I had several of mine break on my trolling gear. Later while at J&W seafood replenishing my stock ( and looking at prices of ball bearing ones) I remembered
how long those snap's had been used.
Remembering that some I had bought in past would not work in certain situations, I decided to buy a less costly brand ( forgot name) until l decided what would be best in different set-ups.
Thanks for post, Looking forward to all replies here.

Edit: I use 75# black "Bill Fisher" brand for my spanish rigs (32 rigs) .
Its one of the most commonly found brands were I shop. I always used a black ball bearing swivel on each rod set-ups.
(first snap off of rod) but I can not remember the brand.
On-line shopping has been somewhat confusing.. some brands have them in mm,others in #' s, still others have just size 1,2,3 etc..

·
Registered
885 Posts
Coastlock is the style. They will sometimes break just above the bend when they get old. The metal gets strained by the bend when they are in closed position and weakens over time (random personal theory, no idea if actually the case). Replace them occasionally and fish on. I have not had it happen often enough to investigate if it is brand related, but probably seen it 10-15 times.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coastlock is the style. They will sometimes break just above the bend when they get old. The metal gets strained by the bend when they are in closed position and weakens over time (random personal theory, no idea if actually the case). Replace them occasionally and fish on. I have not had it happen often enough to investigate if it is brand related, but probably seen it 10-15 times.
I have had it happen brand new out of the packages, but haven't taken notice up to this point. Hoping to get some suggestions on the best quality for the money spent. May take Charlie's suggestion and go to Bill Fisher #75 for light tackle.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I decided to try some of these for each trolling rod. "RipTail" Ball Bearing Swivel with Coastlock Snap at Amazon. 10 for $17.49 .

I have used the bill fisher brand snap swivels and in-line swivels for a few yrs on my leader set-ups and bottom fishing gear. The do seem to work just fine.
I looked at in my Terminal box in the boat. Had nothing to tell me brand names in there (I open packs and pour them into the separate sections) I believe the ones that lasted so long were Sampo .

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
"rip tail " brand-- just the word has me concerned.
But I figured worth a try,, few replies here and I need them soon.. Big Rock in new boat soon!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've been using American Fishing Wire swivels and coast locks for about 5 years. Have not had any break that I can think of off the top of my head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts