Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife Colleen and I decided to take advantage of a nice forecast yesterday and try to manage some late season cobia. We also were eager to try out new tower controls installed by Moubray in kilmarnock. We left the piankatank at 11 and cruised to the fourth island in very glassy conditions. Light winds and gentle ocean swells greeted us at the bridge tunnel. We followed the bridge east for awhile, then turned NW towards the buoy line. Took a break for lunch and left an eel swimming. The rod started screaming 10 minutes later, ended up being a shark. We got back on the prowl and immediately started seeing fish. Had a hard time getting close; every time I'd throttle down to idle to get close, they'd scatter. This happed to three different groups. Finally Colleen sees a group of 6-8 headed right for us. I handed her a rod with a bucktail as I shifted to neutral and threw an eel. The eel went flying off the circle hook. Colleen made a good cast right Into the pack and hooked one. She fought it for awhile then let me have the end-game. We boated a 40"-45" fish and sent him back on his way. Would've liked to double up on that group, but I was proud of my wife for casting to and hooking her first fish.

Are the fish skittish because it's late In the season and they're wary of sight casters? I'd never seen fish scatter so consistently. We were only cruising at 4-5 knots then slowing to idle to get close enough for a cast.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice report and congrats to your wife on her first cobia! Are you happy with the controls from Moubrays? I have a new boat just delivered to Jetts Marine in Reedville and headed to Moubrays next week for a new top/tower with controls. Just curious how yours turned out?

·
Registered
788 Posts
They are skidish because they have been straight hammered for the last two weeks. The amount of pressure these fish have bad is crazy. Its always rewarding to put someone on a fish like that and moubrey did my tower on my scout and it is amazing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts