Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our group of Cole,Steve,Won, all from Virginia & myself fished with Zach yesterday ,june 1st.,from www. salttreatedfishing.com ,sight casting for Cobia & Bull Reds.We left the dock at 10 AM.to let the sun get up to better see the fish and catch the tide right. We got to the fishing grounds by 11 ish,after a 20 mi. run. we started Hawk Eying from the "Cobia Tower" as they are called in Virginia. Without a Cobia Tower , good polarized sunglasses , and the knack for sighting fish, your ability and chances are greatly diminished of spotting" Mr. C.",AKA the "Man in the Brown suit" as they are called in Virginia, or the schools of Big Bull Reds cruising under the surface. The higher vantage point gives you a much better view. Without a Tower, overcast days ,or if it's too choppy, you're better off anchoring up and chumming .Our fishing time was cut short 11-3:30 by the approaching front ,bringing a 3-4 ft. chop and making it a bit more difficult to approach and stand up to cast and fight Cobia surfing down the face of waves in the stiff breeze.We sighted many Cobia and 2 schools of Bull Reds.We landed 6 Cobia, got several good jumps from each fish,1 46in. Bull Red,jumped off a few more Cobia and had another Bull Red spit the hookThere were lots of schools of Rays under the surface as well..We had good action for the amount of time spent sight casting. I'm anxiously looking forward to our July & Aug. booked trips with Zach.Last season, Zach's boat caught over 400 Cobia for his clients.I left Harford county Md. solo @ 4;30 AM and left Seaford Va., where we departed @ 5;30 PM after we were done cleaning fish and arrived home @ 9:30 pm.It was a 500 mi. round trip. About 4 hrs. each way via 95-64. Not bad A tall.I hope you all get chance to experience a trip like this.It's a blast.

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
Our group of Cole,Steve,Won, all from Virginia & myself fished with Zach yesterday ,june 1st.,from www. salttreatedfishing.com ,sight casting for Cobia & Bull Reds.We left the dock at 10 AM.to let the sun get up to better see the fish and catch the tide right. We got to the fishing grounds by 11 ish,after a 20 mi. run. we started Hawk Eying from the "Cobia Tower" as they are called in Virginia. Without a Cobia Tower , good polarized sunglasses , and the knack for sighting fish, your ability and chances are greatly diminished of spotting" Mr. C.",AKA the "Man in the Brown suit" as they are called in Virginia, or the schools of Big Bull Reds cruising under the surface. The higher vantage point gives you a much better view. Without a Tower, overcast days ,or if it's too choppy, you're better off anchoring up and chumming .Our fishing time was cut short 11-3:30 by the approaching front ,bringing a 3-4 ft. chop and making it a bit more difficult to approach and stand up to cast and fight Cobia surfing down the face of waves in the stiff breeze.We sighted many Cobia and 2 schools of Bull Reds.We landed 6 Cobia, got several good jumps from each fish,1 46in. Bull Red,jumped off a few more Cobia and had another Bull Red spit the hookThere were lots of schools of Rays under the surface as well..We had good action for the amount of time spent sight casting. I'm anxiously looking forward to our July & Aug. booked trips with Zach.Last season, Zach's boat caught over 400 Cobia for his clients.I left Harford county Md. solo @ 4;30 AM and left Seaford Va., where we departed @ 5;30 PM after we were done cleaning fish and arrived home @ 9:30 pm.It was a 500 mi. round trip. About 4 hrs. each way via 95-64. Not bad A tall.I hope you all get chance to experience a trip like this.It's a blast.
I fish with Greg Buckner down there for cobia and red drum. We got covered up with sharks a few times and also had our share of cow nose rays. When it got slow, I got a 6' wide Atlantic Ray to the boat. Cobia is great table fare. Also had a blast fishing there. Need to go again........ Gary

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sight casting to them with jigs & eels eliminates the sharks & skates.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
:rockingreport:Thanks Capt. Nick. In FL, cobia are known to hide right under your boat...

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Sounds like a great trip Nick. I like sight fishing, especially for big fish like cobia and bull reds. Any pics?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! Let me know about future dates you plan on heading down if you need another.

jim

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Glad ya had a good trip, Nick. Wish I could've made it. Next time...................

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok Leon I'll try to get another trip set up for you, jnashed, and another.I'd like to go on atleast a trip a month July/Aug./Sep.You guys let me know what month and day is best for you and I'll see if the dates are available to start working on a trip.I'm already thinking of NC next year. Zach trailers down for the early Cobia Run in May. He caught 55 Cobia "In 1 Day." Last month. All sight casting.Many people have other obligations and can't go all the time. I'm always looking for fishermen that are serious and can go from time to time. BTW Zach fished Tue. morning before the weather got bad and managed another 6 in a few hrs. Check his site. I fished with Zach 4 years ago when he was a 20 yr. mate on another boat. Now, at only 24 years old he's taking out celebrities like George Poveromo. I predict he'll be a Cobia legend.

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
Ok Leon I'll try to get another trip set up for you, jnashed, and another.I'd like to go on atleast a trip a month July/Aug./Sep.You guys let me know what month and day is best for you and I'll see if the dates are available to start working on a trip.I'm already thinking of NC next year. Zach trailers down for the early Cobia Run in May. He caught 55 Cobia "In 1 Day." Last month. All sight casting.Many people have other obligations and can't go all the time. I'm always looking for fishermen that are serious and can go from time to time. BTW Zach fished Tue. morning before the weather got bad and managed another 6 in a few hrs. Check his site. I fished with Zach 4 years ago when he was a 20 yr. mate on another boat. Now, at only 24 years old he's taking out celebrities like George Poveromo. I predict he'll be a Cobia legend.
I would like to make the trip also Nick. Let me know...... Gary

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Fricken work.... Can't do next Thursday but I'm up for July or August on a weds as I said before. We could meet up and split the drive too.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts