Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks, I ain't gonna set back and let this thing die!! The people that were running the Cobia Cup cancelled it for whatever reason they felt necessary. I talked to 3 of the 4 committee members and asked if I could take over and keep the money raised to date and have a lesser tournament. They all agreed. So I guess I'll be in charge of this thing once again.

The Cobia Tournament will still be on Saturday August 8th. The Capt's meeting will be on Friday the 7th. I'm not sure yet about a big after party with music food and drinks but we will see what can be done. I'm also not sure about prize money. There's s about $5500 between early registrants and sponsors. That's not much for this late in the game. Also, one sponsor completely backed out and the other halved what they would do, so some money has already been lost. If you have already entered and still want to fish the tourney, great, you have to do nothing. If you don't want to fish it anymore you will get a full refund. I will try to post on here and on the Bull Island Anglers Club Face book page to keep everyone up to date.

The rules will be modified slightly, mostly just the pay out parts. All the weather, and fishing type rules will remain the same. The Calcutta's will remain the same. The entry fee will be $200 per boat for a 4 person team. Each additional angler will be $25. There will be a youth and Ladies division but not sure of prizes at this point.

It would really be great if those of you that fish and have businesses would sponsor the event and help make it happen. Also the more pre-entries we have the better it is for planning purposes. It may be better for sponsors to send a check instead of using the paypal button on the website. There were problems with that feature, supposedly it's been fixed but I'm not 100% sure. The pay pal button works for people wanting to enter.

To enter or sponsor go to http://www.bullislandanglers.org/cobia_entry.php

If you have questions, call me 757-871-9246 ask for Craig Freeman. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to answer until I get the files from the previous organizers, but I'll do my best.

Hope to see all y'all at the tourney!!

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After having about 24 hours to chew on things, At this point in time we can guarantee a 1st place prize of $4000 for the cobia tournament. Based on entries and sponsor ships that amount may increase, but at a minimum it will be 4k for 1st. 2nd and 3rd place prizes will be determined at a later date and may have to be based on a percentage of the number of entries. We don't want to have to do that and hopefully we can get a few more sponsors so we can guarantee 2nd and 3rd place money as well.

Again if any of y'all can help get sponsors it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Do you think those big females will have spawned and dropped their eggs by then? Maybe another week out would be better to let them finish spawning?From what I've read, they spawn in and near the Chesapeake between mid June to mid to August. I'm not trying to put anybody on the spot.If it's too late now, maybe it's something to consider for next year?

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts