Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had not seen some of this info posted on any boards. This is a copy/paste from Capt Monty's website out of Ocean City Md. Its worth checking out, below is only a small part of his blog from this week. I feel he knows fisheries management as well as anybody. I found the below paragraph interesting.

His website
http://morningstarfishing.com/report.htm

"It only takes two fish to calculate an average.
From there they can calculate total weight.
15 cobia became 561,000 pounds in July/August.
And it's not just the weight of fish; I'd bet almost anything that MRIP completely disregarded VA's salt water fishing license data in favor of their own estimate of how many folks went fishing. They "can just tell" not even half of recreational fishers bother to register or get a required license and INCREASE the number of anglers at will...

Here are the exact weights of the 18 cobia found in Virginia last May/June as shown to me by someone who very-much ought to know.
Weight (pounds)- 69.6- 78.8- 78.8- 22.6- 22.6- 69.6- 78.8- 69.6- 22.6- 52.3- 17.2- 17.2- 48.7- 48.7- 17.2- 52.3- 48.7- 52.3

I noticed a pattern & then rearranged the numbers so anyone would notice.
17.2 - 17.2 - 17.2 || 22.6 - 22.6 - 22.6 || 48.7 - 48.7 - 48.7 || 52.3 - 52.3 - 52.3 || 69.6 - 69.6 - 69.6 || 78.8 - 78.8 - 78.8...

Now THAT's a strange coincidence. Eighteen fish with only six weights..
Friend of mine retired from MD State Police Homicide: "I don't believe in coincidence."
Was it 18 cobia? Or 6 cobia keypunched three times each? Was it on purpose???
Either way - it's crazy to close off all angling, & all commerce associated with that angling, on such a thinly supported number.

In the 22 years from 1981 to 2003 Private Boats fishing along NC's coast (from shore to 3NMs out) caught 426,000 pounds of cobia -- all those 22 years, all put together, 426,000 pounds.
Then, in 2015 alone, they caught 472,000 lbs.. "

·
Registered
360 Posts
The odds of those numbers being like that are ZERO. It is obvious this is forged data. I believe it is called forgery, and/or conspiracy. Most of the time they mess things up because they are lazy, and have no common sense. I believe this goes much further. We need to get this info to Rob Whitman...:yes:

·
Registered
337 Posts
so who is it whose pulling the strings on this mysterious cobia conspiracy? omega sure would benefit from all those pesky sight fishing boats no longer being around to get in the way and witness/film their net pulls

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Can you someone point me to the source of those numbers?
Capt. Monty Hawkins
[email protected]

near the bottom of "Morning Star Fish Report" http://morningstarfishing.com/report.htm

Where he got numbers? I believe he says-
Publicly available at http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/recreational-fisheries/data-and-documentation/queries/index
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no doubt managements math is WAY off. I too, would just would like to see the (100% real) numbers they used to close the fishery! AND you do have to wonder who would benefit from its closure!
To me this closure is much like saying we re no longer allowing Collage football!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Their data is based on an 18.4# fish which seams reasonable to me. What is concerning is the PSE (proportional standard error) for the mid-atlantic region is 42.4. Anything over 50 is considered highly inaccurate and we're fairly close to that threshold. The south atlantic region is showing a PSE of 13.4 which is much better. You can't do something drastic when your own data shows it has low confidence.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want more information on what is truly going on with this Cobia conspiracy email me here [email protected]. I will add you to a list of stakeholder heron Virginia and North Carolina that are fight and have been fighting this for months

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tcannonsr. Don't worry VMRC knows about the bad data. Glad to see some new support like I said we have been fighting this for months

1 - 9 of 9 Posts