Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm traveling down to Cape Charles next Sunday and targeting cobia for 4 days. If anyone has any tips/tricks, I'm all ears.

Planning to sight fish with live bait (bunker & eels) around the tunnel and ships anchorage.

MH

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just a reminder to have your Va. fisherman’s ID card.
Mast at Sea Hawk on rt. 13 in Pocomoke can give you some Cobia tips as can Chris’ Bait and Tackle on rt.13 in Cape Charles.
Good luck and post sone photos.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Just a reminder to have your Va. fisherman’s ID card.
Mast at Sea Hawk on rt. 13 in Pocomoke can give you some Cobia tips as can Chris’ Bait and Tackle on rt.13 in Cape Charles.
Good luck and post sone photos.
It's Oceans East now, Chris and Mark retired last year.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have never targeted nor caught a Cobia. But I have come across them accidentally at Cape Charles and Oregon I let. I found them to be quite frustrating. Bastards wouldn’t hit anything in the tackle box. And did not spook. Just ignored my offerings.
I had a friend in the ‘50’s who was a charter captain for Bruce Schieble. Cobia charters were the most expensive charters back then. They fished around the Tangier wreck for them

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I’ve only fished for them twice. Once we chummed for them and caught all rays and lost one keeper at the boat. Was fun. Second time we trolled red hoses and absolutely smashed them. Caught out 3 keepers right away and continued to catch a release them the rest of the day. I’ve never sight fished for them but will the end of august on a work charter.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Ive fished down there withs many.guides . You really need a tower to see the cobia well.They keep the eels on the hooks in a bucket ready to cast when they see a Cobia.One bait in each bucket to keep them from getting tangled 2 baits /2 buckets ready to cast when you get within casting range of a sighted Cobia..You need good eyes to see them.Good ,experienced spotters on the tower are worth their weight in gold to a Captain.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
I don't know him. As a rule, the Cape Charles side Captains chum.and the Virginia Beach side Captains sight cast.my pick would be Jorj Head or Salt Treated on the Virginia Beach side.That's the side I always booked from. On a sight casting trip, the Captain and mate cast to,the Cobia, hook the fish for you,then they hand you the rod..After you get your limit, you can cast to them, or fish for Red Drum , Flounder or Sheeps head fish .They don't want any missed fish..I think you're only allowed 2 Cobia now in Va per boat. When I fished there we were allowed 6-4-then 3 per boat

1 - 20 of 65 Posts