Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a retired friend who gets more fishing time in than me. He kept telling me last summer that he was seeing cobia, twice out in the ocean near DB buoy and once in the Del. Bay. I had a hard time believing this cause I've never seen any in the Del. Bay.

I took him flounder fishing on my boat in mid-August this year and we went to the Bowers Beach reef site #4. During the middle of the day we saw this large brown fish cruise by the boat. We both saw it clearly and it was no doubt a cobia of 35-40 lbs. It was absolutely not a shark. I scrambled for a rod but had no lures rigged and ready. It was gone within 15 seconds!

Was this a freak? Did any one else see cobia in the Del. Bay this year? If anyone did, lets hear about it!

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
I've caught 3 or 4 off OC Md.It's not that far north and it was a long, hot,dry summer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Been fishing DE Bay 20+ years. Never seen a cobia there. Never seen anybody that caught one there. Still won't rule it out. I often still see something new when I get out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Six years ago , I caught 2 cobia at cross ledge light. They were both about 24". I didnt know what they were so I took them to a bait store and the owner wrote me up for a citation for unsual catch in DE bay. I never did send in the citation thou.

·
Registered
515 Posts
There was a charter captain from N J who caught one all the way up in Sandy Hook NJ last summer I Think the boat was the Last Lady out of Belmar

·
Registered
42 Posts
Although not "common" in the DE Bay, I usually hear of a few every summer caught there. Last year in OCMD bay someone landed a big one while flounder fishing, the local tackle stores had never heard of one in OCMD's bay before. Not too uncommon to find them offshore of IRI or OCMD.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
There were a few nabbed at O.C. last year. Most were taken around the bouys 1-3 miles from the inlet. I saw a pic on here of 60+ lber.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A commercial fisherman friend of mine told me that in 1997 they had a killer whale in one of their nets off the eastern shore of virginia.

Anything is possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts