Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You never know what you will catch.....this was caught while casting for Speck's.............Looks like the summer could be interesting........

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Well...what do ya know about that??? They've already caught a couple at the CBBT. It's gonna be a good summer[excited]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just this week started catching Cobia off the Point in Hatteras. They are headed this way. Be here sooner than later.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
913 Posts
Another are sighting - About 3 weeks ago, I was fishing for shad in the Rap in the city. I was standing on a rock at a big, deep eddy pool when 2 a pair of fish 24 - 26" long slowly rose from the bottom and swam up toward me. Originally, I though they were carp, but as they slowly swam up to the surface and came within 3 feet of me, I recognized them as sturgeon!

One hundred years ago, sturgeon were common in Chesapeake rivers. Potomac caviar was shipped around the world. Several years ago, Maryland stocked some sturgeon in a few rivers. They expect it will be decades before it is known if the stocking was successful.

I reported the sighting to a VGIF biologist. He said that VA has not stocked sturgeon, but, occasionally, they do find one in tidal rivers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
[Q]cwoods originally wrote:
Another are sighting - About 3 weeks ago, I was fishing for shad in the Rap in the city. I was standing on a rock at a big, deep eddy pool when 2 a pair of fish 24 - 26" long slowly rose from the bottom and swam up toward me. Originally, I though they were carp, but as they slowly swam up to the surface and came within 3 feet of me, I recognized them as sturgeon!

One hundred years ago, sturgeon were common in Chesapeake rivers. Potomac caviar was shipped around the world. Several years ago, Maryland stocked some sturgeon in a few rivers. They expect it will be decades before it is known if the stocking was successful.

I reported the sighting to a VGIF biologist. He said that VA has not stocked sturgeon, but, occasionally, they do find one in tidal rivers.
[/Q]

How sure are you that they weren't gar? The Rapp is loaded with them right now especially up around Fredericksburg.

Mitch

·
Registered
913 Posts
All of the gar that I have seen are slender. I had a very good look at these fish and these fish had more bulk than gar.

Since I have not seen sturgeon on the wild before, you could be correct. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts