Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

All,

As you know, I always try to provide a free catch report with any advertising I do here. Here is a cobia catch that was provided by Chris Gass who had been fishing off of Cherrystone.

Chris CassCompressed.jpg

Chris and his dad visited our 4th of July tent at the Cape Charles festivities this past weekend. Many of the folks who visited our booth asked us for a boat division and wished we had been doing it that weekend. Maybe next year we'll do that for flounder and cobia. I've got a potential sponsor who called this morning looking to guarantee a $5,000 cash purse.

A pic of our booth is shown below where we showed the Live Leaderboard, trophies, T-shirts, etc.. Sponsors like Chris' Bait & Tackle, UnderWaterFishingLights.com, et. al. continue to pile on with prizes and other cool stuff. The total value of the "in-kind" prizes is beginning to overtake the guaranteed $1,200 cash purse prizes.

CapeCharlesJuly4thCompressed.jpg

As I came across the Bay Bridge Tunnel on Sunday and visited with some folks fishing off the pier, the response from my fellow "pier rats" was very good, especially from the Coast Guard and Navy guys that didn't know anything about the tourney or the Military Appreciation Calcutta. The kind folks also asked some excellent questions that I need to add to our Q&A section of the website (e.g., "Can an angler hoard spots on the pier?"). I was also asked "Can I be assisted in the catch if supplying a catch to the Military Appreciation Calcutta Division?".

I realize that most of you boat guys don't care about a pier tournament, but please pass the word out about our Cape Charles Queen of the Bay Pier Tourney to my fellow "pier rats". If I had more time, I'd stop by all the piers this weekend and pass out flyers. It is for these folks who can't necessarily afford a boat that we created this alternative type tourney format (and of course our Special Angler community). We'll be flooding the event with streaming web cams, setting up underwater lights, daily prizes, etc. to make this as fun as possible for a small tourney (and of course we have use of the FD Live Leaderboard system for the national audience).

Even if you are a "boat guy", consider coming out and coaching some of these young anglers. You can still fish in the Open Division, and if you are active or previous served military, your catches automatically get factored in the Military Appreciation Calcutta Division. The purse for this is currently at $100. We will be taking donations at the tourney to add to this (100% of what you donate goes directly to this purse).

Link to tourney website is here: http://fishdispatch.com/queen-of-the-bay.html Select the Cape Charles even for details. We will have to limit the number of anglers on the pier, so priority for those spots is being done on first come first served basis. Early registration secures your spot and gives you priority all four days of the tourney.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
feeling a little baited here joe. any other details on the catch. what baits used?
LOL. Guilty as charged. Ok, here is a little more since I probably wasted your time with my QOB ad. You must use fresh bunker!!!! Chris says the frozen stuff won't work. The depth was about 25 ft. He was outside a creek a little north of Cherrystone on the Eastern Shore.

I'm hearing a lot of good reports over here on the Northern Neck side. My neighbor dragged one in yesterday between Little Bay and Windmill Point using a large minnow. I think the mouth of nearly any creek as far north as Dividing Creek on our side will produce cobia.

Our fishery up here in the NN looks really good this year. Grass growth is way up. I'm seeing a lot more juvenile fish then I have ever seen in a long time. It could be the growth of all our oyster beds up here is making a difference. I don't know. I really don't know how all those beds survive with the vast number of cow nose rays we're seeing. Also seeing a lot of crabs this year. I noticed the same at Cape Charles too over the weekend.

Hope that helps ya.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Looked at the link and that looks like a cool tournament, Joe! Especially great for kids, families and of course special needs anglers. Will have get to one of those. Thanks for the report too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked at the link and that looks like a cool tournament, Joe! Especially great for kids, families and of course special needs anglers. Will have get to one of those. Thanks for the report too.
Thanks for the encouragement JMW. We'll see how it plays out. This is an experiment.

We have a group of 20 registered from an adult group home based in the Eastern Shore in addition to their caregivers. That has us very excited ... they even have their own team logo plugged into the Leaderboard system. We've got some ringers coming in from NVA, in addition to a couple of young ladies considerthe front runners for the Queen of the Bay Division coming from the Richmond area.

I am very pleased how this has resonated with the ladies ... they like the T-shirts ... especially the ladies fitted Ts. We've sold out of those and we'll be putting in our second order. The ladies are going to love the latest in-kind $100 prize I just received this morning from a high end boutique shop out of Onancock. How many tourneys can claim prizes like that in addition to the prize I have from a jewelry store???

There will still be some serious fishing going on. Most of the serious anglers keep asking about the night fishing, which is why we partnered with UnderWaterLight.com for this. Hoping for some serious shark and ray fishing.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe,

What came in from Chris' Bait & Tackle?

FD Social

• $70 rod-n-reel combo
  • 10 youth shirts (with cool graphics)
  • 12 caps
  • 4 sports towels
  • bloodworms and other bait

As can be expected, I'm singing the praises of Christine and Mark Snook who own the shop. Excluding the bait, we are throwing all these items into prizes. These prizes alone add over $400 in additional prizes to the tourney to accompany the cash purse and trophies. We're going to put most of the Chiris' Bait & Tackle prizes into Daily Prize "Calcuttas" for the Youth and Special Angler Divisions (unless I hear of an adult that really wants one of their caps).

BTW, the "Daily Prize" feature worked just fine on the Live Leaderboard system. I had a chance to test that yesterday. Worked like a charm.

I hope folks in the fishing community will see this and thank Chris' Bait & Tackle when they go by the shop next time they are on the Eastern Shore.

I also want to point out that Wilcox Bait & Tackle of Newport News had also offered us a deal on bloodworms. That was very encouraging. I've only taken Chris' offer because it is more convenient to the location of this venue, but for future tour stops closer to Newport News, I will go back to Tom Wilcox.

For other business still wanting to get into the action, we still have room for you, I just can't get your on the large background catch banners or the T-shirts. You can target exactly where you want your prizes to go, e.g., Open Division, Military Appreciation Calcutta, etc.. Notice how Timothy Smith & Sons Fine Antiques put their $100 gift certificate into the Ladies Division. Good marketing :yes:

Joe posts . . .

P.S. I doubt you CA guys will understand the issue with bloodworms and squid. If you want to spin me , just ask me about how I feel about bloodworms when fishing with youth anglers. They are expensive, but you can nearly always guarantee catching. If the bite is really good and you can get away with squid, fine, do that.

·
Registered
39 Posts

P.S. I doubt you CA guys will understand the issue with bloodworms and squid. If you want to spin me , just ask me about how I feel about bloodworms when fishing with youth anglers. They are expensive, but you can nearly always guarantee catching. If the bite is really good and you can get away with squid, fine, do that.

Joe,

Glad to see the progress you have made on the prizes. We'd love to join in on the fun. Interesting point you make about "squid". We've got a squid crises out here. Artifact of the of the ongoing El Nino in our Pacific. If you haven't seen your frozen squid prices jump out on the east coast, you will see that soon. Be warned.

FD Social

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe,

Glad to see the progress you have made on the prizes. We'd love to join in on the fun. Interesting point you make about "squid". We've got a squid crises out here. Artifact of the of the ongoing El Nino in our Pacific. If you haven't seen your frozen squid prices jump out on the east coast, you will see that soon. Be warned.

FD Social
rgr that. A little bird already gave me a heads up on the squid issue. After hearing about it, I rushed into one of my local dives that sells squd in the frozen food section, hidden under the shrimp. The price had already gone up two fold. Foiled again :help:

I want to also mention that I neglected to call out the other $300 in prizes mentioned on the website:

"For QOB tournaments held in Virginia, all the tournament results for Junior Anglers that qualify for the Virginia Marine Resources Council (VMRC) Junior Angler Awards program will be submitted for their official award citations signed by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia. In addition, Junior and Junior Special Anglers alike qualify for the additional $300 cash awards sponsored by Fish Dispatch in conjunction with the Special Angler Foundation. See the additional rules here."​

In addition to all that, I just got off the phone with Bailey's Bait and Tackle right in town. They plan to get in on the action and throw in more prizes.

Question: Can you ever give away too many prizes???

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Question: Can you ever give away too many prizes???]
Joe,

This question created quite a stir back here in cubicle land. The debate raged on through the week. There were a lot of "for" and "against" arguments.

As a whole, we think folks have come to realize the entitlement attitudes that are brought about by "participation" trophies. It used to be a that a trophy really meant something, i.e., you won a championship, else you didn't win a trophy. If you didn't earn a trophy, you still had the great experience of competing and the longing to come back next season and work even harder.

We do understand that there will be a number of children competing, and we think that token prizes do make it fun, but we just hope those prizes are earned with a real catch. For that matter, is the "catch" itself not its own reward. That is why so many of us fish .... it is rewarding ... and we often take home something to eat.

Food for thought . . . and pun intended.

FD Social

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a whole, we think folks have come to realize the entitlement attitudes that are brought about by "participation" trophies. It used to be a that a trophy really meant something, i.e., you won a championship, else you didn't win a trophy. If you didn't earn a trophy, you still had the great experience of competing and the longing to come back next season and work even harder.

FD Social

Social,

I get it. Funny, your response got me thinking nostalgic to all my youth and school team sport experiences. My wife had me throw away all my trophies years ago, but I kept all the jerseys. I really cared about the jerseys and still do (and most importantly, they don't take up much space).

I've made it a point to ensure we always try to have a team jersey or T-shirt from a tourney. Since we only compete in public tourneys, unless we are competing a National Championship within that tourney, we buy the local tournament's T-shirts for our anglers. That really means a lot to our anglers and the families. Regardless if anyone wins a prize at QOB, they can at least go home with a cool T-shirt. That is one of the primary reasons we made sure that registration would include a T-shirt (at least for the early registrants). We want all the anglers to at least walk away with that token as a memory of having competed both individually and as a team. I'm really glad to see that the trash talking has already begun by these teams.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And not a commercial subscriber.
ohh ... low blow guys. :wink44:

Do you not give me credit for the hundreds of free reports I upload via the Live Leaderboard system???? This is like ignoring the catch reports from a charter boat captain just because he didn't actually handle the rod-n-reel while driving the boat.

I'm temporarily glad to live vicariously through the catches of those I assist in public tourneys ... but yeah, I still get your point. You won't be the first to accuse me lately of not getting out like I used to and dragging in the big ones. Hoping that will change.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts