Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Let me piggy back on this thread.
I bought a Battle II 6000 (spinning reel) and a Shimano inshore rod. I have questions on drag settings from the strike to fighting fish when using a live eel or a spot on a circle hook:

Do I leave the bail open or set the initial drag to 1-2 LB for the strike?
When do I apply the pressure? May I have some details?

Thank you.
Joe

·
Registered
409 Posts
I leave my drag where I'd like to start fighting the fish. Not super tight, because it's going to run right away and you shouldn't try to stop it. Cast the live bait and free spool once they've eaten it. Give it a few good seconds and then close the bail. If the fish pulls it tight you should be hooked up, if the fish isn't running with the bait reel up to it until she's tight. I do not do any kind of hooksetting motion with a circle hook. Using a bucktail is a different story...

·
Registered
275 Posts
So you boys are saying 5000-6000 series battles have enough ass? I've heard a couple of guys talking about 7-8000's. Maybe that is more about line capacity than anything.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Thanks Yak trying to get other brands and models listed other than Peen because they are out there and not all fishers use Penn. Not saying they are bad reels, saying that there are others out there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shimano 6000D - baitrunner is a great all purpose reel, great for live bait or casting lures, I haven't had anything in the bay I couldn't get in with it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Penn Conflict cft6000 reel, 30# braid, and 6.5-7ft med hvy GX2 Ugly Stick. Just over 200$ invested.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe its just me but I have not had a good experience with the GX2 ugly stiks. For a good inexpensive rod I'd recommend ugly stik custom or tiger models. Like others I've been happy with Penn battle reels.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with the tiger model. Bought one from Walmart and caught flounder, 80#tuna and a400# blue marlin. Never fails set up for light tackle dolphin and lookout! Goods rods with a lot of backbone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts