Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow, Tuesday, 20 Oct 2015 at 6 pm, the FMAC will meet. One of the items on the agenda is cobia. It was put on the agenda because many anglers have expressed a concern for cobia and believe some sort of measures to reduce catch is needed. See this poll on TF. Other polls on other media also reflect anglers want to reduce. As far as I'm aware, there is no mandate from NMFS regions to reduce cobia (yet) as cobia is not considered overfished and overfishing is not occurring. But many experienced cobia anglers are seeing less numbers and less bigger fish so there is a concern. While it's on the agenda to be discussed, I expect neither the FMAC nor VMRC will take action unless there is considerable angler input on changes. If just a handful of angles show up, then I fully expect no action will be taken.

Now understand the FMAC is an advisory committee to the VMRC. FMAC formulates courses of action to be considered at the full monthly commissioners meetings where decisions are made. But it's better to start with the FMAC than try to enter straight into the full VMRC meetings as those agendas are much more than just finfish. So show up and express your opinion Tuesday whether you want a reduction, keep the same, or more. My personal opinion is if we need to reduce, that we start off with a modest reduction with nothing too drastic.

If you can't make the meeting, send your concern to the one of the FMAC members. I'm not going to publish their contact info on the web, so if you know one of the members listed here, shoot them a note expressing your opinion.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/FMAC/fmac.shtm

VIRGINIA MARINE RESOURCES COMMISSION
FINFISH MANAGEMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE
2600 WASHINGTON AVENUE, NEWPORT NEWS, VA VMRC COMMISSION ROOM, 4TH FLOOR
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2015 - 6:00 P.M.
AGENDA
I. FMAC Introductions; Announcements
II. Approval of minutes from September 15, 2015 meeting
III. Report from VIMS (Bob Fisher) and staff on Atlantic sturgeon issues
IV. Discussion: Transferability of spiny dogfish limited entry permits
V. Discussion: Creating a dedicated haul seine site in Virginia Beach
VI. Discussion: Recreational cobia management measures
VII. Review: Recent MAFMC actions for summer flounder and black sea bass
VIII. Possible update on cownose ray issues
IX. Adjournment

Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association (VSSA)
ifishva.org
joinvssa.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IfishVA/

·
Registered
884 Posts
Again, I am willing to drive from VA Beach if I can get a full load (3 riders). Time to step up, be proactive and be heard.

BMail or 757-five three six-6682

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Finfish responded to a request to have a public discussion on the Cobia situation in VA. I was the only recreational angler in the audience--which mostly consisted of VIMs scientists and VMRC staff...The Finfish Committee had many recreationals at the table. Because of a lack of interest by recreatinals, I and Jack Austin, suggested the Finfish Committee close the discussion and put it on the back burner until more anglers show an interest in managing Cobia.

Dr Bob Allen, Hampton vA

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Finfish responded to a request to have a public discussion on the Cobia situation in VA. I was the only recreational angler in the audience--which mostly consisted of VIMs scientists and VMRC staff...The Finfish Committee had many recreationals at the table. Because of a lack of interest by recreatinals, I and Jack Austin, suggested the Finfish Committee close the discussion and put it on the back burner until more anglers show an interest in managing Cobia.

Dr Bob Allen, Hampton vA
I want to thank you for all you have done to help the recreational anglers in Va and for your many informative posts here on TF.
I believe the recent formation of VSSA (concerned fishermen) and the cobia vote of @ 75% to adjust limits, shows interest.
I am sure you have addressed this before but I missed it.

With all the ways of communication with anglers- why is it necessary to physically attend meetings?

BTW, I really can't call myself a cobia fisherman but plan to spend some time focusing to them starting next yr
due to diminished numbers of other fish. I know I would be OK with 1 fish limit on cobia.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
tHIS IS A NEW AGE. ELECTRONIC MESSAGES ARE AN IMPORTANT WAY TO SHOW SUPPORT.

VSSA AND THE VA COUNCIL OF ANGLING CLUBS ARE BASED ON THE STRENTH OF E MAIL COMMUNICAITONS.

FROM TIME TO TIME IT IS NECESSARY TO APPEAR IN PERSON ...THE FINFISH COMMITTEE IS FROM ALL OVER AND THEY TURN OUT DEPENDABLY...WHY NOT EXPECT ANGLERS TO ATTEND OR SEND ELECTRONIC MESSAGES TO VMRC WHEN AN ISSUE IMPORTANT TO EACH COMES UP.

MANY ANGLERS HAVE EXPRESSED CONCERN ABOUT THE COBIA SITUATION IN VA...I AM WILLING TO GO TO BAT FOR THEM. WHY ARE THEY NOT WILLING TO COME TO MEETINGS FROM TIME TO TIME TO SUPPORT BOB ALLEN, AND MIKE AVERY WHO STUCK OUR NECKS OUT AND SAID THERE IS MUCH CONCERN..PLEASE PUT THIS ON THE AGENDA--WHICH FINFISH DID--

THEN NO ONE COMES ...

APATHY RULES.

IF NO ONE PHYSICALLY APPEARS BEFORE VMRC AT THEIR NEXT MEETING..DAYTIME ON A TUESDAY AFTERNOON. AND SPEAKS OPPOSING THE OPENING OF THE WINTER CRAB DREDGE SEASON. IT WILL BE RE OPENED.

DR. BOB ALLEN

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Vssa plans a meeting of all members after jan 1 to meet face to face...i hope some come for we will have elections and members may have to be present ???

Dr bob allen,

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Thank you for your replies! I felt that the way the committee feels needed to be said.
Helping others is often a thankless job.
I know that 99.9% do not mean it to be any sign of disrespect to the committee for the job they do, when they don't show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts