Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yamaha 25 horsepower (2003) PULL START motor on my duck hunting boat.

Is there any tricks someone can recomend I can try so I don't have to pull it a 100 times to get it to start.

Keep in mind when its warm out it starts on the first pull almost everytime so the motor is fine.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
If it has a manual choke- try differant settings.If it has an idle in neutral- try advancing it 1/2 way.Once it starts- return it to idle and let warm up 5 minutes or so.

After 3-4 pulls and it does not start- you might want to disconnect the gas line and pull it 3-4 more tries.Once it starts-reconnect the gas line.

Each motor has it's own quirks in cold weather.Last resort is starting fluid but that is tough on a motor if used alot.Once/twice a year is OK.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Sounds like the choke is not working, check its operation.
If the choke is working then the mixture needs to be richened slightly. Might be time to visit a mechanic to have it done right.

Or maybe give it a shot of starting fluid before you pull, be careful the stuffs highly flammable, and not good for the motor in large doses.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Skip it does have a manual choke. I just don't understand why its so difficult in the cold.

I think the choke is fine. Its seems to work fine when its warm.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hey Fishkiller -

Take the carb apart and clean it and make sure the choke is functioning properly. I also let mine run out of gas when i'm done for the day. Let it idle, pull the fuel line and let it run itself out.

I've got a 1994 yamaha 25 2 stroke pull start. It has been completely submerged twice and probably has 2000+ hours on it. It's never been rebuilt and it starts on the third pull whether it's 100 degrees or 0 degrees outside.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My 2 stroke 2001 carb johnson started on first or second turn of the key during summer time. I went last saturday to start mine to make sure it was ready for this weekend as it has been about a month since I have been out. It took about 5-6 turns of the key and I was pushing in the key to make it choke. Last year it was the same way when it was cold. I might just be the engine. I also did what skip said and revved it to warm it up after it started and let it run for a while. Hopefully it will start better this weekend, but I doubt it. Consider the 100 pulls a workout :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Skip it does have a manual choke. I just don't understand why its so difficult in the cold.
You generally don't need the choke when it is warm out - at least not as much. My 25 hp 2 stroke needs bulb pumped, choke fully pulled out, and throttle adjusted more than idle when cold. When it fires back off to half choke and regular idle and then to no idle when it lets you without cutting off.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Theres probably **** in the carb that absorbs water. The above is great advise. I got a 15 yami I use in the winter for ducks and spring in the rivers for perch etc. Run all the gas out (even though Yami says not to) every time you use it, keep Startron in the gas and it should be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts