Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to keep your feet warm? i saw foot liners in the bass pro shop would this help under your heavvier socks? anyother advice would be helpful. thanks[grin]

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I have a big problem keeping mine warm due to sweating and some frostbite 15 years ago.

My formula is this a good quality pack boot or at a minimum a High thinsulate count boot. Minimum 1500 grams. A moisture wicking sock on first followed by a high quality wool blend sock with polyproplene mixed in. BPS has some nice ones that are in the $12-$15 per pair but worth every penny. A word of advice, buy your winter time boots at least a half size larger to accomodate the bulkier socks, the secret is to maintain a warm air space around your feet. Wiggling your toes in this space helps too.

On the super cold mornings, below let's say 15-20 degrees, add a chemical foot warmer inside the boot on the outside of the wool sock.

I starting using the foot warmer last year when hunting some single digit mornings and never got more than a chill on my feet. The foot warmers make a BIG differance.

One last bit of advice, when looking at $150-$200 dollar boots spread out over 10 years and $15 dollar socks spread out over 5 years or so, think about how much you would pay to have warm feet when you're in your stand and numb and ready to go home. Then ask yourself if the extra money is worth it at the counter.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A few years back I bought a set of those boot blankets, they look like huge boots... they are big insulated boots that you put over your hunting boots once in your stand, they are soo good ad warming your feet I now wear my sneakers to my treestand and slip these on over them with a hand warmer in for added warmth..... Have get to get cold feet with them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The biggest cause of cold feet is trying to pack too much sock into a boot. It stands to logic that the more or bulkier the socks that you put on, the warmer your feet will be. If your boots can't handle it, nothing can be further from the truth.

As others have said, you must have a boot capable of handling a "heavy sock load". Purchase a boot that fits you needs and make sure you bring your cold weather socks when you try them on. You foot should fit nicely in there even with enough sock to choke the michalin man.

My personal preferance for foot wear is the 18" LL Bean Guide Boot. There is no insulation in this boot. I have two sizes in this boot. 11.5 and 12. For warm to mid range cold (down to 15*) I wear a polypro sock(very light) I then wear a tighly knit wool poly blend and add the smaller boot. For the cold stuff below 15* or so I add a 100% rag wool sock over the other two socks and step up to the old size 12.

I perfer a noninsulated boot. If you get one of those insulated jobs wet at a stream crossing you sunk. You've got a giant icy sponge on your foot and you can't do much about it. Even after a night of drying over the wood stove, that suckers gonna be wet. With an unisulated boot, all ya gotta do is swab it out with a t-shirt, change your socks and you rolling... Much more efficient and much safer.

This system got me through more upstate NY winters than I care to think about. We routinely hunted in sub 0 temps up there. When your deer camp looks like this, you learn a thing or two about how to keep warm... This was taken just as the rut was peaking....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been to a couple of Inaugural Parades down in DC - the first year I went, I didn't think about my feet and after 13 hours on a sidewalk in DC in January I thought I was praying for my feet to fall off. When I went again a few years back (and it was raining and snowing that time) I went to Sunny's and got some awesome camping socks that I wore with regular tennis shoes and my feet never got the least bit chilly...and that day I stood in the rain/sleet/snow for about 17 hours...

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can spend all the money your wife will allow, but you will get cold feet in any boot. Everybody is different my buddy has real sweaty feet in tennis shoes, put them puppies in boots with all the socks and his feet freeze. The only thing that works is Toe Warmers.....Feet warm all day...They are cheap. And ya know whats funny everybody at the hunt club used to teaze me about them but they all come to borrow a pair.....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
All of the comments so far look good.

Just wanted to say that keeping the rest of your body warm and hydrated will go a long way towards keeping your toes & fingers warm. Drink more water than you think you should & if it is chilly wear a knit hat. Also, get a nice warm (& waterproof) coat...there's no replacement for it for a cold day in the blind

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your feet sweat as much as the rest of your body when they are too warm. Try using any nonscented anti-perspirant (sp?) spray ( I use right guard) and you will be amazed at the difference. The first time I used it I never got cold and it was 6 deg and windy.

I learned this trick from a buddy who is an army ranger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts