Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out on Thursday morning (chilly) and remembered how hard it can be to get my hands to cooperate when they are cold. If anyone can recommend a good pair of fishing gloves...lets hear it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
I'm old school and like a wool glove.Even wet-they keep your hands warm.

Military surplus stores often have great deals on them.
I keep 2-3 pairs on the boat.If one gets too wet - I have spares.Plus you can "rent" them on cold days :D:D.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a pair of Simms fleece gloves with a Gore wind stopper layer. They are warm, even when wet, they breathe and don't make my hands sweat like neoprene and I have the use of my fingers. I have used them in sub freezing temperatures and the only time I get cold is when I am running the boat.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I use insulated Seal Skins in winter. Two problems 1) I take 'em off while rigging and 2) I don't handle a fish with them on because I worry about a fin puncturing the neoprene and possibly causing the glove to be not waterproof.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I used either fingerless rag wool gloves or these from NRS:

NRS HydroSkin Gloves

The NRS don't impair my dexterity too much--I can still open snap swivels, tie knots, etc. Casting a spinning reel is kind of interesting because the line sometimes hangs up on the ridges on the fingers. They're pretty warm and splash proof, but water will get in through the seams if you dunk your hand. They stay pretty warm even when wet.

With all that said, I usually reach for the rag wool gloves first.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fished the Severn today in the wind and rain. Def could have used some gloves. My hands were close to useless!:censored: Not going out again without.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Fished the Severn today in the wind and rain. Def could have used some gloves. My hands were close to useless!:censored: Not going out again without.
I used to work outdoors all the time in the winter and snow (Below Zero a good % of the time) without gloves difficult to start IV's, lift strecthers write charts now I am paying for it nice thing with cold damage is when you stick your self with a hook doesn't bleed for awhile (more fishing time) but,tying, opening things or actually feeling anythnig is a problem. Started taking old work gloves cut the fingers off helped some

·
Registered
205 Posts
can't shoot a shotgun or do much of anything with a glove. i might wear one on left hand and keep right bare for trigger / safety. i use a lined pocket in my jacket and chem heat packets. when it really gets cold, strap on one of those hand muffs and throw 2 packets in there keeps hands warm when inactive and lets you use bare hands to fish, shoot, etc. if i am picking up dekes in cold water when you absolutely must have gloves, i use lined neoprenes. the sealskins are nice but get cold. actually, any neo glove makes your hands colder eventually.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to work outdoors all the time in the winter and snow (Below Zero a good % of the time) without gloves difficult to start IV's, lift strecthers write charts now I am paying for it nice thing with cold damage is when you stick your self with a hook doesn't bleed for awhile (more fishing time) but,tying, opening things or actually feeling anythnig is a problem. Started taking old work gloves cut the fingers off helped some
Wow. :eek2: Def want to stay away from that. Got a West Marine close to my house. Going to check them out and see what they got.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts