Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the water getting colder, curious what those that fish the bay in winter carry for safety equipment?

Liferaft?
Epirb?
Dry suit?
Wear inflatable pfd full time?

Also be interested to see how this varies by the type of boat you have. We run a 31' twin inboard and have normal safety gear - flares, 2 radios and handheld, lifejackets, throwable ring with line etc. With so many people out in summer more concerned with not getting run over rather than floating, but in winter if had to go on not sure how long would be OK in sub 60 degree water. Was thinking about picking up a liferaft.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I'm in a center console but always carry rain gear (for spray) in the winter and wear my inflatable PFD. I also wear ski-googles to keep my eyes from watering from the wind. :eek2: I've had some of my crew laff when I pull 'em out and put 'em on, but the next trip they go with me, they bring a pair tooo!! :D;-)

Also, make sure the radio is working (and carry a spare). I dont get on it much, but if ya need it, you want it to work.

Dry towels and extra hand warmers also go in the storage bin for winter fishing.

Andy
GW 222

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
I run a 27 foot walk around with 4 sided enclosure.Getting wet can be fatal in winter.

She has twin motors-two fuel tanks-three batteries.Plenty of flares,VHF plus handheld as back up.Radar and a small heater.

In the cabin is two very thick blankets in case someone gets wet.We do not drink on the boat - getting sloppy in winter is bad.

I carry extra gloves-cold hands are useless.Try and pick the better weather days and always file a float plan with my wife.I call once on the ramp.If the weather gets too bad-I'll head in.We can always fish another day.I also try to get back before dark or at least very close to the ramp.Once darkness hits-the temp. often drops 10-15 degrees.

My biggest safety gear is common sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts