Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be catching more in the yellow ones off the dock that the black ones. Does color matter? Let's get some data.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nah! Don't get caught up in that hogwash. Colors dont matter. I've crab potted (commercial) for numerous years, not anymore though and the only thing I can say is that new pots (traditional) dont catch as well as a pot thats been in the water for a while. Get the shine off as soon as possible which doesn't take long.

Take Care...Pat

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
Warren, contact Bobby Jenkins, Mr J's Pleasure.

He's been conducting "experiments" near his boat slip, and is gettng similar results with the colored traps catching more.

[wink]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got two black, a green and red mixed and a white, and I believe the white catches less. These pots are in pretty shallow water off the dock, so my guess is the reflectivity of white is more of a factor in shallow water, in my opinion... hoping to cook some crabs tomorrow night...[grin]

by the way, does anyone know where i can get pots with the trap door made of the wire instead of those stupid coffee can lids, the farm an home and eubanks in Kilmarnock both have the lids, and i think they'll last about a season before that hog ring pulls out of the plastic...

·
Registered
496 Posts
JeffH-- I got rid of the plastic lids on my pots and replaced them with a piece of vinyl coated wire mesh held on with hog rings as a hinge and elastic cord to keep in place. Eubanks used to sell the vinyl mesh but I'm not sure if they still do.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have had good luck with the yellow in shallow water. Have never seen the white and plan to buy a red. Coated pots green up faster than the old Reg Galv pots so if im going to keep pots in for a long period I like using the Galv pots. Whomever said older post catch better I agree especally with the Galv Pots. From what Ive heard from other people they all catch about the same this time of year but the yellow and red do better spring and last fall. The color Coated pots only cost me a dollar more than the black coated so I had to try them. In my opinion bait is the real make or break in pots. Herring and Menhanden work well and carcass from fillet catch do good. Keep it fresh and change it every day and you'll catch better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bobby,

Save your money. I have a yellow and red and don't catch a thing, nada, in the red. Could be the way they are made. Been told that crabs are color blind. However, this is the second year trying to catch crabs in the red pot, and it has been officially retired.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts