Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a recent article in Salter water Mag about a guy who prefers to make all white Clousers, Deceivers... and then color them on the water with a magic marker. Has anyone tried it or do most guys just use different color bucktail/material to make different color flies. Doesn't sound as fun either?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I read a recent article in Salter water Mag about a guy who prefers to make all white Clousers, Deceivers... and then color them on the water with a magic marker. Has anyone tried it or do most guys just use different color bucktail/material to make different color flies. Doesn't sound as fun either?
its just for making last minute match the hatch changes, the tip is useful for wading or kayaking anglers so you dont have to carry around so many fly boxes and gear.. it seems a lot cheaper then buying more bucktail though

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I dont know about coloring flies but after fishing scented plastics down in Fl, a friend of mine and I were debating how far away scented fly materials were going to be before they start making their presence.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Guys use to do that with plugs. Some companies made white ones and you could color them as you needed. I ty using dyed bucktail. I don't think you would ever be able to match the deeper color and sheen of dyed bucktail with markers. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few different patterns in white with a few markers in colors you normally don't use and color them on the spot if you needed to. I could see going on a trip and not being sure whar colors you need and doing that. It sure may save what would have been a lost trip.;) :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Funny you should mention it...

I have recently be experimenting with this very concept. I bought an assortment of like 20 Sharpie permanent markers and have been coloring bucktail, saddle fethers, EP fibers, etc. I think it will lend itself to some cool shading possibilities, plus it saves money and space. Both of which are at a premium in my house ;) The color looks great to me, although I have my doubts about how long it will last. But I guess then you have the chance to change the color of the fly. I have colored materials both before and after they were tied on.

So far I like what i have been able to achieve.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What a coincidence; I recently experimented with the same concept. I selected EP fiber because I though it would hold the colors well. I tried different color combinations as well as all white. For example, I tied identical flies - one all white and one chartreuse over white. I used Sharpies to color them in a yellow perch pattern. It was quite easy and they came out pretty well. That is, pretty well if you consider my lack of artistic ability. I'm almost sure that with practice I could turn out a fly that was vaguely recognizable as a yellow perch.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Adding color to an all ready tied fly has been going on for a long time. the first time i saw it do was by poul jorganson. enricka does it and so do many others. I think using it that way inhances the fly. I just wonder abut over a day fishing when coloring the whole fly. Again in a pinch its a great idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts