Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from the Baltimore area and have hunted most of life but not too much for ducks or geese. I have a home in Somerset County - Lower Fairmount area and I have access to Big Annamessex and Manokin Rivers plus the Fairmount Wildlife Management area. Does any one have any suggestions for a type of boat that would be good for duck hunting in this area. I would also like to use the boat in the summer for some fishing and crabbing. Something big enough for two people.
Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
for what you are planning to use the boat for, Chincoteague Skiffs are built and designed for that EXACT use, don't hve their website, , but that is the boat you want for the use you mentioned. Built on the e. shore. Hope this helps

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's Chincoteague Scow... Rick and Vic Arvidson have been building a self-bailing model down in Exmore for quite a few years. The boat got "known" by the Jester family whom built these on Chincoteague island years ago.

I know the waters your gunning "intimately", and the 18 would be ideal in the tidal creeks and marshes, and the 20 out on the river or Tangier Sound (if you run over to South Marsh). For the impoundment, a 12 foot jon is all you need or will want, especially after a "dry summer". The 18 is very versatile, unless your spending a lot of time running Tangier Sound fishing, then I would recommend something other than a Scow...

http://www.intercom.net/~boatwrks/chincoteague.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts