Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am interested in purchasing a new combo chartplotter/fishfinder for my 23' shamrock W/A.

i would like it to be color, i don't need touchscreen and i think i'm ok with a 5" screen.

can anyone make a recommendation based off of their experiences? there are so many options available... many overlap features.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Lowrance pretty much controls the market in the 5" & 7" screen size. (most of the rest of the market also for that matter!).
What I would suggest is contact Jim at BOE Marine Electronics. Either by phone, his "Ask Jim" blog on the BOE website, or the BOE blog on "The Hull Truth". Ask your same questions.
(plus there is a big sale at BOE May 12 to May 15)

http://www.boemarine.com/

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-q-boe-marine-40/

As for me I would suggest the Lowrance Elite 5, or the HDS 5 if you need more options,
such as networking or Structure Scan.

Even if you check thru this electronics blog here on Tidal Fish, you will see the majority of the interest is with Lowrance HDS

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after almost a week of research, i've seen alot of folks bashing lowrance's customer service group... i'm still leaning towards their product because it appears to function well, but it sounds like you're in for it if you have any issue.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Service is not really an issue. HDS has a two year warranty expandable to four.
Lowrance is high volume (like Walmart, NASCAR, the USA). Just human nature to complain when your the biggest!

Take a look at Si-Tex. Good product, low volume (so no service issue complaints, at least none you will read about on these blogs).

Good luck!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Furuno -- I have a combo unit (color) GP1850WDF (Depth, WASS, Fishfinder) that has NEVER failed and is deadly accurate. The unit is 7 years old and is installed/removed every trip.
Like comparing an Iphone to a 1993 box cell phone. Very old technology but well made.
A real Dinosaur when compared to Navico (Lowrance/Simrad) state of the art technology
for the recreational market, and most other brands.
I had a 1650. Still worked fine but felt good to get $225 for it.
These older Furuno models were very expensive, and certainly did the job. But you get so
much more for you money, if your in the market, with today's modern products.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I'm a tough sell when something works very well and is extremely accurate. I can read flounder on the bottom with no problem. I know that the technology has come a long way but fishing is still fishing. I have a friend that has a $5000 Lowrance unit and after 15 months still goes back to his Furuno because the Lowrance is so much more complicated to use. But us OLD FARTS are like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts