Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had to drop my wife's car off at the dealer for an oil change this morning so I wasn't sure what I was going to do the rest of the day. When we got home, I decided it was going to be too overcast to do any pictures of the fall foliage with her and I am tired of fixing wood, so I decided to go fishing. I threw things together and headed for the bay. About half way to the dock, I realized that I had forgotten my GoPro. Well, I am not turning around to go get it, so on to the dock I go. I got the boat in the water, started out from the dock, and reached over to turn the depth finder/GPS on-nothing. Opened the battery box and saw the hot wire was broken. No problem, I stripped the wire down and twisted the two ends together and hit the power button again-still nothing! I pulled the fuse holder apart, the fuse was blown. Now what, I didn't have any spare fuse with me.

OK, time for Plan B, well actually, Plan B had been Plan A from the beginning so I started trolling a ½ oz. blue rattle trap. I picked up an 18 inch fish on the first pass. I unhooked and released that fish and made another pass in the opposite direction-another hook up! I continued to troll back and forth until I lost the tide. I ended up with 11 rockfish, a catfish and a white perch. I also caught two largemouth bass and lost another one. One largemouth went around four pounds and the other one was probably close to six pounds! Wouldn't you know it, no camera, no scales and I forgot to measure them-oh well, they were fun to catch. They sure do fight a lot different than the rockfish though. I had a lot of hookups that came off the barbless trebles and also a lot of missed strikes that never got the hook. On the way back to the ramp, I stopped several places along shore casting one of the 1/8 oz. spinner baits I had made for perch and picked up a keeper yellow perch. I also picked up another rockfish casting the rattle trap. All the rockfish ran from 16 to 19 inches except for one that was probably around 21 or 22 inches. They were all beautiful, fat healthy fish and all fish were released. I also forgot my pliars but had a spare multi-tool in a pocket on the tackle bag. Ever tired to get two sets of treble hooks out of a thrashing rockfish with no pliars? From now on, pliars, spare fuses, camera, scale and measurer all go in the boat on every trip.

All in all, it was still a good day but the wind was very cool. A harbinger of things to come.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Don't want you to spot burn but generally speaking in what area were you trolling. In all my years of reading fishing reports I've never read of catching largemouth and rock while trolling. I would venture a guess somewhere near the flats

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprisingly, not on the flats, but trolling on one of the upper western shore rivers. I have caught lots of largemouth while casting structure for rock but I have never caught a largemouth trolling before that I can remember. Then to hook three in one day is really strange.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Something to look forward to, those comedy of errors get worse the older you get, jus' sayin'. But hey, thanks for the report!

I'm still trying to fix my I-forgot-the-pliers-routine. Every time I'm in a tackle shop, I buy a pair. Seems like I have 'em in every nook and cranny, every tackle box and bag, every bucket, and everywhere else. While fishing, if I don't trip over a pair of pliers when they're needed, I buy another pair and put 'em there.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am in the habit of forgetting things the older I get and now have several checklists hanging up in the garage, depending on where and what I'm fishing for that day. I have one for bay fishing, one for reservoir fishing, one for kayak fishing and one for crabbing. They do help. I live an hour away from the bay, so going back for something I forgot is not an option. Try crabbing a trot line when you leave the net hanging in the garage. Lessons learned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts