Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how the NC commercial landings of Flounder and Seabass in VA due to Oregon Inlet shoaling will be tabulated?
Will it go against Va limits?

·
Registered
318 Posts
From what I can understand, the quota is transferred to Va. on a case basis. When the trawler lands in Va. with intent to offload North Carolina Quota, he has to call N.C and get the quota transferred. So the net effect is that the quota comes off of N.C. quota, not Va. I believe this is correct but not 100% sure.

Rex

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
From what I have heard from a friend that knows someone that works/owns a fish processing plant in VA., many NC trawl boats are now flounder dragging off of the coast of Va., especially the entrance to the Ches. Bay. There are so many flounder coming into Va. ports, that the price of flounder has dropped considerably. Granted, hearsay is hearsay, but this is from a good reliable source.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hearsay is right. The majority of the recently caught trawl boat flounder have been from points north of Va. As far as quota's go ,what matters is where the fish are landed, not where they are caught. The price has actually come up in recent days/weeks. They bottomed out about 2 to 3 weeks ago and have reboundeed a little. The Va. and North Carolina offshore seasons are winding down now.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I supposed that they are using this regulation section.

4VAC20-620-40. Commercial vessel possession and landing limitations
I. Any boat or vessel that has entered Virginia waters for safe harbor shall only offload Summer Flounder when the state that licenses that vessel requests to transfer quota to Virginia, in the amount that corresponds to that vessel's possession limit, and the commissioner agrees to accept that transfer of quota.

You can read for yourself but I don't see where black seabass has a similar clause.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/fr950.shtm

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the NC boats are catching fish coming into the Chesapeake bay , landing them in Va and they are put on NC quota. Seems that will adversely affect Va population of fish. The NC boats would usually be getting their catch closer to home port wouldnt they ? Its like they are secretly depleting the VA population to me. I think thats unfair.

·
Registered
318 Posts
How about all the Va. boats that are catching fish off the Northern states and landing them in Va? Are we depleting the Northern States population? The vast majority of people that complain about commercial fishing don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Don't get me wrong, there are aspects of the commercial fishery that need to be changed. The waste in North Carolina of the rockfish comes to mind. But, so many people like to make posts with half truths or opinions or hearsay (I heard from a friend who knows someone who thinks he saw someone doing something) just to incite anger. I can see it coming that because the flounder appear to be a little late getting here this year, people are going to say "The trawlers caught them just outside the Chesapeake Bay on their way in" and "The commercial fisherman have caught them all and we will not have any to catch". There is no way they will believe it has anything to do with the extremely cold winter we have had or the extremely windy spring that kept the waters muddied. The fact is that the vast majority of trawl caught flounder this year have come off of New Jersey's coast IN VERY DEEP WATER. Va. boats and North Carolina boats have been catching them there and landing them in their respective states and they are doing it legally. North Carolina boats HAVE been landing their catch in Va. due to Oregon Inlet's condition but it has all been documented. They really don't have a choice. OK, I am off my soap box and I sure I will catch hell for this post. Just my opinion.

Rex

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rex, i am curious about how you have come about your knowledge on the subject.
Now that you have straitened it all out for us where do you get all these facts?
Not trying to inflame you but you also have come across with statements that could be hearsay for all we know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.