Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you YOU TOUCHED A NERVE favoring a slot over delays the start a week or two. You amaze me! The big ones are still there, of course. Commercial fishermen, please comment !

Recreational folks don't acknowledge that Commercials pay 10X the fees they do, and have to tag and report everything. NOTHING bigger than 36"can be kept. The Maryland Watermen's Association agreed to the 36" limit, and thereby run conservation circles around the rec folks! The nerve to criticize an idea to open the Rec Season a week later, and the gall to defend a stupid 4 inch slot..... Hello....?
How does anyone justify not setting a size limit exactly the same 36 inches as commercial fishermen?? Or, get this, try to justify a 4" slot in a regulation that is otherwise unlimited in total length??Commercial Fishermen have sustainable population regulations. Apparently they are the ones who really want and need a healthy fishery, with a sustainable population!

Rec's buy one $50 licence that covers all cronies aboard, and commercial fishermen pay thousands of dollars of licenses, and fees, and report each fish, yet support stricter conservation regulations:

source: MD DNR
Tidal
Striped Bass
Drift Gill Net - Common Pool12/1/2014 - 2/28/2015
See public notice
3:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
20'' to 36''Chesapeake Bay
See public notice for catch limits
Permit required
Harvest must be checked in within 3 hours of completing trip and not later than 9:00 pm day of harvest.
Stretched mesh 5" min, 7" max
No more than 3500 yards on a vessel in no more than 10 boxes

Tidal
Striped Bass
Drift Gill Net - ITQ12/1/2014 - 2/28/2015
Mon thru Fri
3:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
20'' to 36''Chesapeake BayPermit required
Fish must be checked in no later than 9 am the day immediately following harvest.
Stretched mesh 5" min, 7" max
No more than 3500 yards on a vessel in no more than 10 boxes

Tidal
Striped Bass
Hook & Line - Common Pool6/1/2015 - 11/30/2015
See public notice
1 hour before sunrise - 1 hour before sunset
20" to 36"Chesapeake Bay
See public notice for catch limits
Permit and flag required
Fish must be checked in no later than 9 pm on the day of harvest or 9 am the day immediately following harvest.
A total of 2 crew members may assist a licensee
A maximum of 4 individuals, including crew members may be present on a vessel engaged in the Chesapeake Bay common pool hook-and-line fishery

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Many of you YOU TOUCHED A NERVE favoring a slot over delays the start a week or two. You amaze me! The big ones are still there, of course. Commercial fishermen, please comment !

Recreational folks don't acknowledge that Commercials pay 10X the fees they do, and have to tag and report everything. NOTHING bigger than 36"can be kept. The Maryland Watermen's Association agreed to the 36" limit, and thereby run conservation circles around the rec folks! The nerve to criticize an idea to open the Rec Season a week later, and the gall to defend a stupid 4 inch slot..... Hello....?
Capt - I am a recreational fisherman and have been trying to get this point across for years, but it generally falls on deaf ears. Don't you know that all Commercial's want to do is just poach and decimate the striped bass population?

You sir can expect be Exiled from Tidal Fish for "Commercial Sympathizing".......when you do (even though you won't technically be banned) you can go to THT and join in the Banned from TidalFish discussion.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
How many commercial fisherman are still licensed and trying to scratch out a meager living on Striped Bass?How man recreational licensed working people(John Q public).paying the tax bills and trying to catch a few legal fish on their days off and need a little time to vent from their hectic jobs?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Somebody hand me a hanky...

I have been hearing of the sad plight of the waterman since I was 5 years old in 1971. You'd think that 44 years later, people would catch on to the fact that it's maybe not such a lucrative career, and that perhaps they ought to seek employment elsewhere. The bay doesn't owe you a living, and it's abundantly clear to me that from an economic perspective commercial fishing provides a poor rate of return relative to recreational fishing.

Go ahead an keep pushing to exploit a shared resource for personal profit, and I'll keep working on achieving gamefish status for Rockfish and eliminating the reduction fishery for Menhaden.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
The answer is ..500 commercials and 200,000 recreational fishermen.That's 40 to 1.Who would you think has the vote on the stake claim?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Somebody hand me a hanky...

I have been hearing of the sad plight of the waterman since I was 5 years old in 1971. You'd think that 44 years later, people would catch on to the fact that it's maybe not such a lucrative career, and that perhaps they ought to seek employment elsewhere. The bay doesn't owe you a living, and it's abundantly clear to me that from an economic perspective commercial fishing provides a poor rate of return relative to recreational fishing.

Go ahead an keep pushing to exploit a shared resource for personal profit, and I'll keep working on achieving gamefish status for Rockfish and eliminating the reduction fishery for Menhaden.
Here, here......I couldn't have said it better.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Recs pay their license fee to be able to keep ( if lucky ) one or two Rock - depending on time of year. The old adage of rec caught fish costing $100.00 a lb is damn near true.

Comm. pay a higher license fee but can recoup it by selling the Rock they catch. Often it will be 100 or more fish in a single day.

I do agree it would be a great idea to limit harvest of any Rock over 36 inches for everyone - up / down the coast. Recs. could still catch them - just have to release them.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I know my vote doesn't count, but I still am entitled to an opinion.

I'm in favor of not killing any rockfish over 36" by any means, be it Rec, Comm, or Charter...with an exception for recs & charters (no disrespect to comms)

Recs & Charters: 2 fish @ 20" - 30"....OR....1 fish 20" - 30" and 1 fish over 30" but no larger than 36".

Exception for Recs and Charters: 1 Trophy Tag per angler per year for any fish over 36", valid May 1 thru Dec 15. Tag to be purchased anytime prior to harvest by Recs and available for purchase at time of catch for Charter boats...just my 2 cents.

Heck, I'm just happy to fish and catch a couple of the dumb ones every now & then.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Last time I checked Capt. Recs dont profit from the harvest. I would like to see a moratorium again the fish were bigger and more abundant. I would like to see tighter limits on NON residents fishing the bay.( That was for you Mike lol ). Sorry I couldnt help it and you too Tide.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Last time I checked Capt. Recs dont profit from the harvest. I would like to see a moratorium again the fish were bigger and more abundant. I would like to see tighter limits on NON residents fishing the bay.( That was for you Mike lol ). Sorry I couldnt help it and you too Tide.
Yup, that's right, business's in MD pay a lot of taxes and other bills to make the money they do. I wish I could find free materials for my business to make money with. Those supplier bills are getting more expensive every year. If I could take my truck and load up with materials that were free, I could have retired by now.

Spending money to make a lot of money is the norm for a successful businessman. If only the state would allow me to pick up free material, my profit margin would grow quite a bit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't think you will get many responses from commercial fishermen on this site, but you are right, the commercial harvest is a lot more responsible when it comes to conservation. there is a financial incentive with rec harvests also, a single 40 pound fish harvested would have a value of over $300. some recs may not keep every legal fish they catch, but a lot do

·
Registered
970 Posts
Comms take far fewer fish total than recs but boy do they shoot themselves in the foot with some of the antics pulled. I am glad they put in more rec regulations and maybe we should have more. Do not complain about fees though. As a business owner I can tell you the fees they pay are far less than what I pay. Also if it wasn't profitable they wouldn't be doing it.

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Comms take far fewer fish total than recs but boy do they shoot themselves in the foot with some of the antics pulled. I am glad they put in more rec regulations and maybe we should have more. Do not complain about fees though. As a business owner I can tell you the fees they pay are far less than what I pay. Also if it wasn't profitable they wouldn't be doing it.
No ones "complaining" about fees. Some are simply correcting misconceptions about profits. Government regulators don't have expenses that they are not reimbursed for..and their salary's come from personal income taxes and other TAX revenues......OK?

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the heads up, but Brandon is OK, and a friend. Maybe he's happy that I do contribute to TF, and only occasionally make a comment:). I learn and share a lot of good stuff on THT, however. Excellent site, you know, For example, every question I google about Bay fishing and/or mechanical/electronic issues on boats comes up with a hit or two from that site.
From the fox hole,

Tight lines, Rich

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many commercial fisherman are still licensed and trying to scratch out a meager living on Striped Bass?How man recreational licensed working people(John Q public).paying the tax bills and trying to catch a few legal fish on their days off and need a little time to vent from their hectic jobs?
Hectic Job???
Government, Utility, Ponzi broker, mechanic, electrician, or software hustler?? You can't be self righteous just 'cause your job is "hectic" and the commercial fisherman's is oh, a walk in the park...hello?? How is your job more hectic that a commercial fisherman's? No harm meant, I just don't understand your logic.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I read & reread all the posts.Md Comms are not permitted to keep a fish over 36", gill netted, hook or line or pound netted? So ones that are > 36 " & dead they throw back as well?

I agree what is good for the goose is good for the gander, MD & Va should not permit keeping of any fish over 36", or enable a trophy tag to generate additional funds targeted to rec fishery improvement. 1 trophy tag a year should be more than enough for anyone.

i'm not so sure about the meager living, we are essentially harvesting wild game off public lands, and comms can sell the proceeds, while recs cannot. Neither Comm fishing or trophy recreational fishing are truly a poor man's game.

Personally, you struck a nerve, I'd like to see all comm rockfish harvest halted & effective management of the fishery by DNR & the feds. I will never buy a striper in a store or on a menu anyplace. if we reduce demand for the fish, price will drop and the market would collapse. & I'm still irritated about a 10% increase in menhaden harvest. Darn all those RECREATIONAL menhaden catchers!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd like to see all comm rockfish harvest halted & effective management of the fishery by DNR & the feds. I will never buy a striper in a store or on a menu anyplace. if we reduce demand for the fish, price will drop and the market would collapse.
But the truth is most citizens support the commercial harvest of Striped bass. if they didn't people wouldn't buy them. so how about this. you don't need to support it, or buy fish, but let the people that do support them buy fish. Your not God, you have no right to dictate what others should do

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
But the truth is most citizens support the commercial harvest of Striped bass. if they didn't people wouldn't buy them. so how about this. you don't need to support it, or buy fish, but let the people that do support them buy fish. Your not God, you have no right to dictate what others should do
Got some stats to show people support commercials because they buy fish? Guess they support comms from other states to who catch their variety of fish. More likely they buy fish at stores and really aren't guaranteed it's fresh or caught in MD. Buying the fish is about getting something to eat. Because you say it, doesn't mean it's true. If the average citizen were ask about the rockfish situation, good chance they haven't a clue. More likely recs and comms are really only concerned about the bay resources. Recs don't need to shop for fish, neither do comms.

Be interesting to see the percentage of seafood thrown away because their freshness expired. Now that would be wasteful and help put a dent in the resources if caught fish were not bought at all. Go to the stores and see that rockfish isn't even in the display case. Arundel seafood doesn't sell raw rock filets, only sandwiches. Md buy the other raw fish more then rock. I've ask about it and that was the response I got, SMH.
Guarantee recs eat the fish they catch, LOL.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Guarantee recs eat the fish they catch, LOL.

No way, Kidz....I love to tow my boat 80 - 100 miles to fish, just to throw every striper back that I catch then stop at the grocery store on the 80 - 100 mile drive home and spend 30 bucks on a couple "fresh" rockfish fillets....you bet, that's how I roll :hysterical:

I don't catch an excess of keepers & do release most of what I catch, but if we're hungry for one I'll keep one, but I sure as heck ain't buying any.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
.I love to tow my boat 80 - 100 miles to fish, just to throw every striper back that I catch then stop at the grocery store on the 80 - 100 mile drive home and spend 30 bucks on a couple "fresh" rockfish fillets....you bet, that's how I roll :hysterical:

I don't catch an excess of keepers & do release most of what I catch, but if we're hungry for one I'll keep one, but I sure as heck ain't buying any.
Population of Maryland (2014) - 5.976 Million
Maryland Recreational Fishing License Holders - 200K?

I think the retailers likely rely on the other 5.776 MILLION people to buy their seafood, not those who have the opportunity to catch their own.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts