Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It already is, paxfish. Have you heard of the Virginia Sea Grant? I am so glad that my old home state of Virginia is taking some action, and I think that with the support of the coastal communities around the Chesapeake Bay and the Va. Beach/ Norfolk/ Hampton/ Newport News/ Portsmouth areas, the program can be a great success. Here is the link: http://www2.vims.edu/seagrant/docs/StratPlan_Final_preprinting_2010-0113.pdf

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ LY2000 - from "The Chesapeake Bay Program": "VMRC is expected in January to approve the creation of 15 new "aquaculture opportunity zones": hard-bottom areas located in clean, shallow waters that serve as nursery areas for fish and crabs." "Aquaculture is a booming, multi-million dollar industry in Virginia."
Well, I don't know if it will make "gamefish stocks soar", but once again, good-ole Virginia is taking steps to improve it's fisheries. To me, this is a very good example of citizens' tax dollars being put to good use.
http://www.chesapeakebay.net/news_vashellfishfarming.aspx?menuitem=55070

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
when people say "we're gonna improve our fisheries" it has an ominously commercial ring to it. A fishery by definition is a business. In the case of marine fisheries, we're really talking about business managed by the govt. So far the govt has not demonstrated a high degree of aptitude to "manage" fisheries. Most of our commercially valuable species are greatly depleted, disguised in govt fishery-speak as "not overfished." This thread linked to something about sustainable fisheries in New Hampshire...? IMHO NH doesn't have much skin in this game. We can check the landings data, but I think a more meaningful discussion of fishery goodness should involve the State of Mass. Federal fishery politics and policies, I think, tend to originate there. Clearly other states are players. Every region has its own kingpin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts