Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the end of the Severn River tonight ,
just messing around with the kids , and nightcrawlers.

NON STOP SPOT ! I couldn't find a single spot out around the Bay Bridge,
but we couldn't sit the rods down tonight without a spot on the other end of the line !

2 eels , 2 catfish , and about 25 spot !!! I so wished i was taking the boat out tomorrow,
as I would have thrown them in the crab pot !

But WHY ?? Why are the spot stacked up at the end of the river ???

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I went out a few weeks ago and Hackett's seemed surprisingly empty (i.e. I got skunked bottom fishing there). I got a lot better marks up shallower, including near the mouth where it sounds like you were. Big menhaden were in the area as well (I snagged one on a jig).

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify, I was at the WEST end / beginning of the river, not the mouth,
I think when the rock move up in the river it's gonna be a feeding frenzy !

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just to clarify, I was at the WEST end / beginning of the river, not the mouth,
I think when the rock move up in the river it's gonna be a feeding frenzy !
Figured you meant the headwaters. Only time I got into a run of spot this season was about 3 weeks ago fishing from the dock in the creek off the South River where I live (above the Rte 2 bridge). Caught a dozen or so in an hour. Had my hopes up on potential supply but haven't found them again in or around the area since.

Mike (lubbernomo)
Bluewater 2350 out of the South River

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Not uncommon for Spot to go far upriver in August / September. Might be to escape some of the bigger fish in the bay and / or for food. Often in August - there is a lot of growth in shallow water that teems with stuff Spot will eat. Sometimes you'll see them feeding on pilings - sucking off little bits of food.

The real fun comes in late Sept / early Oct. as the Spot and other small baitfish leave the rivers due to water getting colder. The Rock and Blues will often be at the river mouths to intercept the migrating baitfish.

It can be 1-3 weeks of wild fishing - if you time it right.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I never had a problem catching spot, or rockfish in the Kent Narrows. I use to check my rockfish in at United Shellfish on the Narrows. If the price was not right there, I would sell at Crab Deck. They use to let me tie my boat up, and fish bloodworms off the pier. I would put about 12-18 spot in the live well. then when the tide JUST started moving I would be anchored at my spot. What an easy days pay that was. I often wonder if the spot are still there to be caught. I know the rockfish are still there. Man, I would like to try that one more time before I check out. I had it made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts