Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I coulda fished today but the nasty weather had me thinking twice. Instead I decided to help out the CCA MD Upper Bay Chapter clean up at the Old Conowingo Boat Ramp on Mt Zoar Rd. Today was the 5th annual clean up day.

Some Exelon staffers were there helping out too. They not only got their hands dirty so to speak but also provided the coffee and donuts and other refreshments neatly arranged inside a tent complete with tables and chairs. Exelon hired a contractor for a truckload of mulch to spruce up the area and a roll-off to put all the junk in.

There were probably a couple dozen volunteers there today doing one thing or another. The ramp area was swept and debris removed. Any trash was picked up and dumped. Two or three huge water-logged trees were removed from the ramp area, sawed up and tossed in the roll-off with the aid of a little front-end loader courtesy of a generous volunteer.

It wasn't raining when the clean up started at 9:00 am this morning but by 11:30am it was coming down pretty good and people were starting to pack up. That place could use a clean up crew in kayaks or something to get more trash out from along the far shoreline. Still, with all the volunteers, a lot was done in the short time we had.

To give credit where credit is due, it was retired school teacher Ken Simmers of the MSSA Upper Bay Chapter who started this clean up event 5 years ago. He was there working along with some of his chapter's other members. It was good to see everyone working together.

The next Clean Up day is Saturday, June 11 from 9:00 am to 12 noon. Just like today's event, Exelon will provide trash bags, dumpsters and refreshments for all volunteers.

For more info contact: Fred Smith (410) 457-2427 or Bryon Young (410) 836-3761.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Great to see. MSSA chapters do a lot of good projects that help out the waterways.

Funny story about that spot.

Years ago - we iced fished there. The road leading in was snow covered and many trucks skidded down the hill - almost going into the creek. Many stopped just a few feet from the ice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts